Will It Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There is a factory in town that manfactures insulated windows. These windows are shipped on steel racks 4'W,4'L,4'H. The racks have removable sides and ends to accomodate different size glass. The sides and ends are made of 1.5x1.5 square tube 3/16 thick. Recently, they changed the dimentions of the racks and are using all new racks. The old ones are being taken to the salvage yard for recycling. I can buy these old racks for $8 each.

I would have to add some slats to the sides and ends so they would hold wood. I have scrap 5/8 steel rod I can weld to them.

My idea is to buy 12 of these racks, they would hold 6 cords, 1/2 cord each, and weld the rod to them. I would set one next to the splitter and stack it full while splitting. When full, pick it up with the skidsteer and move it to my seasoning area and leave it there until the wood is dry, depending on the wood at least 1 full year. Then, pick it up with the skidsteer and move it to the woodshed in the fall so it would be inside to keep the snow and rain off. When I need wood in the stove, bring it into the shop where the stove is, take the empty rack back to the splitting area and re-fill it.

This would save me a lot of stacking time. I currently split, throw in truck, haul to drying area, stack, when dry I throw in truck, haul to woodshed, stack, throw in skidsteer bucket, stack in shop, burn.

This looks like I could save a lot of stacking.

Opions?

Good idea! I just started palletizing my wood this year. I can't put as much on a pallet as you'll be able to & I don't have the forks yet to move them but, that is the plan. The problem with wood pallets is freezing to the ground & pulling apart when you lift them. You wont have that.

Sounds like it is worth trying... post up some pics when you get one done!

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd go for it. If it doesn't work out your out $100 plus your time.

I moved my steel pallets today. Half a cord on each one. Before I moved them I wrapped them with visqueen so the splits wouldn't fall off. When I set them in the wood shed I removed the visqueen so the wood can breathe. Nothing fell off, all the wood stayed tight. It took me about 45 min. to move 6 cords. The pallets are working really well.

Back