Will one chain saw more wood than another?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
Scratching my head here, need some expert answers.

We have two chains, both are Stihl 33RSC-72. Both are brand spanking new out the box. They will both be used in a super clean 16inch round oak log thats 25 miles long, yup its a big log. The chains will both used on the famous cancer curing 361 Sthil chainsaws. These two saws will be tuned to the exact same Rpm and both saws will cut exactly the same, one is no faster than the other. The operators will be twin brothers wearing white jump suits and singing Hound Dog while they saw.

All things being completely equal these two saws should cut about the same amount of wood before the chains go dull. If one saw cuts 200 blocks of wood off this 25 mile long log before its dull the other saw should do the same. If both saws are running the same Rpm and putting out the same power the time to cut these 200 blocks should be about the same for both saws.

All this taken into account what would make one chain dull faster than the other and what could change the time it takes one saw to cut the 200 blocks? Mind you now each chain will cut the same amount of wood regardless of all the factors. At the 200th block both of these chains will be completely dull.

This is only a test from the saw broadcasting station. Chime in with your thoughts on what would alter the factors even though the same amount of wood will be cut with these chains.

Log is super clean. Both chains will encounter the same wood. Both saws are exact, bar oil the same in both.

even standing trees that are rinsed with fresh rainwater have grit in the bark.

for the sake of you experiment i withdraw that idea.

silica content and heat generated from lack of oil are still valid.

Both chains will be dull at the 200th block, not one, but both..

Also when is the last time you saw a log 25 miles long,LOL

We're using common logic Volk, not science here...

Only thing i can think of is one brother lets the saw cut and the other is a pusher?

So bearing down to make the saw faster would dull that saw faster, good point but if he did that it wouldn't reach the 200th block like the other saw, hmmmmmmmmm

1. Not an expert on saw chain.

2. Here in southwestern Indiana we would call that tree you are working on a fair sized sapling. Last weekend I cut up a 52 mile long hard maple. My 460 cut it into 16 inch rounds in a little under an hour.

3. We would use a 361 on your oak. Estimated time to get your log cut with the twins would be about 10 to 15 minutes.

4. Can I have the wood when you are done?

1. Not an expert on saw chain.

2. Here in southwestern Indiana we would call that tree you are working on a fair sized sapling. Last weekend I cut up a 52 mile long hard maple. My 460 cut it into 16 inch rounds in a little under an hour.

3. We would use a 361 on your oak. Estimated time to get your log cut with the twins would be about 10 to 15 minutes.

4. Can I have the wood when you are done?

LOLOLOL, sure can, bring the truck.

Adding to the equation. The stock car Chevy that Dale Jr drives runs 180mph. At the end of 500 miles the motor is pretty well shot. The stock Chevy from the factory that I drive runs 60mph but I will get over 100,000 miles on my motor, (I hope)

if this is a riddle...
the chains start the same and end the same after doing the same work?
then the answer is nothing.:)

Very correct. Now we aren't going to alter the wood. We aren't going to alter the chains. The operators, the robots, are the same. The only thing left to alter is what???

Back