Will this help beam strength

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyrob

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I posted a few days ago about the I beam I planned on using only being 1/4" thick. I found some 6x24x1/2" steel plates and was thinking of welding them on the top of the beam to help beef it up a bit. Will this be worthwhile or will the beam still warp if wood is tough/knotty?

Thanks,
Rob

I added another 1/4" to the top of my beam after using it for a couple of weeks. I could see it flexing.,but now it stays straight. It's reinforced a little more on the lower half also,but I don't know if it was needed.

I posted a few days ago about the I beam I planned on using only being 1/4" thick. I found some 6x24x1/2" steel plates and was thinking of welding them on the top of the beam to help beef it up a bit. Will this be worthwhile or will the beam still warp if wood is tough/knotty?

Thanks,
Rob

Don't know what what kind of hyraulics you plan to run, but anything less than 1/2 " only works on our smallest splitters W/ a 16 GPM pump. The bigger splitters have a 8 x 12 H - beam with a 1-1/2 or 2 " mill plate on the top . Tired of bending stuff!!

Thanks,
Rob

Rob.....

I kinda have the feeling that you should try to find something thicker! Do you want to build it now and only have to rebuild it down the road?

Back