Will this pull a whisper chipper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone thinks that a 1970 flatbed f-100 with the v6 will pull a 9 inch whisper chipper and a full load of chips. Chip box hold approximately 350 cubic feet of chips. The box would be close to 380 cubic feet.

Huh, I thought the only 6 cylinder you could get in a Ford from those years was a straight 6?

clearance said:
Huh, I thought the only 6 cylinder you could get in a Ford from those years was a straight 6?
Thats right, ford didnt offer a V6 in those years, it was only a 300CI straight 6, which will pull pretty much anything. take a look at it and see, its NOT a V6. the V6 wasnt available in Fords till the mid 90s in the Fseries trucks. only the 300/6 from the 70s till somewhere in the 90's.

PUclimber said:
Well where i come from a 6 cylinder motor is a v6. It's the 6 cyl 300 motor.
You funny man, where you come from? Hey the engines came from Detroit. Glad to be right, that 300 straight (so called because the cylinders are in a straight line) is an awesome, tough engine, it will pull. I would question the rearend in that truck next. V6, v8 engines are called v engines because the cylinders are in a v configaration. How about a Cummins 5.9, is that a v6?

I was a child all through the 70s, like you appear to be now. Just trying to save you some trouble when you talk to someone about your engine, keep up the v talk and they might think you are retarded.

It'll pull it. But you may have a tough time stopping it. Does your chipper have brakes?

Well thanks clearance but it always seems like you're putting people down on here. Belittling people is not the answer to everything. Am i retarded?...... no i'm getting an education from one of the best forestry programs in the nation. Do i know much about engines not really. I know a lil bit about them.

No treeman the chipper doesn't have brakes. It is something that I will look into. Thank you for the response. Basically i've been doing side work while still in school and we have a tree farm and i'm going to start doing work full time this summer. As of now i have about 2-3 weeks worth of work lined up. I got the chipper from a gentleman that we've dealt with before who works on tractors for us. He fixed the motor and everything and has it running well. I found the truck and it's in good condition and it's a guy that our family knows. So i was going to build a box on the back of the flatbed to hold the chips. If it'll do the job i can buy it right for about $1000 and i purchased the chipper for $1200 so i'll have a low overhead to start with.

Your chipper will be close to 3000 lbs. with a chip box full on that f-100 will probably be pretty heavy.If i remeber correctly an f-100 has 5 lug rims which could possibly snap with that kind of weight. You could add some coil type helper springs for about 40.00 from advance auto parts which would help your rear suspension but the lugs would be my concern.You would be much better off with a f-350 if you can find one. The engine will pull it just fine! Great price on the whisper chipper!

Better be concerned about stopping that sled

PUclimber said:
No treeman the chipper doesn't have brakes. It is something that I will look into. Thank you for the response. Basically i've been doing side work while still in school and we have a tree farm and i'm going to start doing work full time this summer. As of now i have about 2-3 weeks worth of work lined up. I got the chipper from a gentleman that we've dealt with before who works on tractors for us. He fixed the motor and everything and has it running well. I found the truck and it's in good condition and it's a guy that our family knows. So i was going to build a box on the back of the flatbed to hold the chips. If it'll do the job i can buy it right for about $1000 and i purchased the chipper for $1200 so i'll have a low overhead to start with.

PUclimber....you seem more concerned about whether your truck will pull that load. probably will, id be more concerned with trying to stop that sled in a emergency. small half tons are not designed to stop safely with only the trucks brakes. trust me you will fry the pads first day after that i just hope my family is behind you NOT in front. good luck. regan

howel07264 said:
trust me you will fry the pads first day after that i just hope my family is behind you NOT in front. good luck. regan

They had shoes not pads :p

Puclimber i would find a heavier duty truck if it was me. I have bought things that just didnt serve my purpose and regreted it later down the road. ol clearance was joking with you man...

I've worked with a couple 1 ton trucks in my day, that had a home made box. What happens is you end up filling the truck to over flowing and then pulling the chipper along with that huge load of chips.
You can do it, but you're pushing the limits, that's with a one ton. If you made a small box, you might be able to use a 3/4 ton, but a 1/2 ton would only be safe pulling the chipper, or a small load of chips, not both.
Maybe you could chip the brush, spot the chipper, dump the load and go back and pick up the chipper, but what will happen is you'll end up just hauling the oversized load. It's very dangerous.
In Wisconsin, the DMV is really clamping down. You have to have all the numbers on the side of the truck, the truck inspected, everything, and they have random stops where they block off the road and inspect and weigh every commercial vehicle. Even guys going fishing get it.
They do it because hauling loads is so dangerous, if not done correctly.
Another issue you may have is getting a 1970 truck up to safe working condition.
You might want to take a minute and go to the fatalities section of this site and read about the chipper that came loose recently, killing almost an entire family.

clearance said:

I think it's kinda like when you want an adjustable wrench, and say, "Hand me the Cresent wrench."
Or say, "dial the phone."
V6 is so common it's replaced 6 cylinder.
Did you ever have a younger kid in your car, and he couldn't figure out how to roll up the window because there wasn't a button? It's a hoot when a high school aged kid turns a crank up window for the first time in his life!

350 cu. ft = 12.96 cu. yds. At 500 lbs. a yard = 6481.48 lbs. Way overload for even a 1 ton truck. Totally unsafe, not a matter of pulling, it's a matter of stopping.

I agree with the majority here in that the 1/2 ton is just too light duty for what you want to do with it. It is not the engine that is your limitation, it was offered in 1 tons as the standard engine with the V-8's as options. The suspension, drive train, and most of all the brakes are way too small for the intended load.

Latest posts

Back