Will this work? High-volume retail sellers--

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohiowoodguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We currently have grapple-truck loads of 24', 5"-20" diameter hardwood logs delivered to us (99% freshly cut), we process them into firewood and the conveyor loads the truck from the splitter. We hand-stack them into rows for seasoning, and then throw it back into the truck for deliveries. But we occasionally get enough "dry" logs (usually red elm, ash, cherry) to avoid the stacking, seasoning, loading steps- going directly to the customer from the splitter. We rarely get a log that is completely split in half from felling-trauma; and notice it is often seasoned clear-through.
What if we mill the logs in half with a cheap bandsaw mill, sort them by species and stack them crisscrossed, cut side down, to season; and then be able to cut, split, conveyor into the truck, and deliver to the customer?
We really are getting tired of all the stacking and reloading.
(Options like a TW-10, or a firewood kiln are way too expensive. Whole logs rarely totally season {oak and hickory}, even after 5 years.)

First off, there is no such thing as a cheap bandsawmill.If you find one, let me know.A decent rig used is going to run you at least 2K, and that is still hard to find.

Second, dont think for a second that a small bandsaw is going to slice that log in half lengthwise in mere seconds.Most of the small units are slow, and there is considerable cost involved in milling.Hit one single orphaned metal piece and that band is gone,and they arent cheap.I dont even mill for folks anymore on the half for me, half for you routine.If they dont want to pay cash for the milling, I walk away.Half a load of any kind of wood hardly pays when you went through two bands to get the job done.I also charge extra if I hit any metal.Makes the customer more likely to admit that the trees where yard trees when they take the risk.

And last but not least, if you just simply cut the wood lengthwise but not cut into lengths, you arent going to see a lot of drying going on except at the ends.Wood primarily dries out the end grain,and a log even if its split lengthwise wont do a lot of drying.

If you are tired of the stacking routine, then you got three choices.

Hire some help cheap, a neighbor kid in school sometimes can be had for $10 a cord for stacking.

Pile your wood on pallets, learn how much wood takes a cord or ric in your truck, and throw it in loose off the pile.Doesnt season as well,but if conditions are right and you get it off the ground and give it a year you should be alright.

Give up the wood business altogther.Its all work, none of its fun except for the dropping and blocking, and learn to make a game out of stacking.When I cut with a buddy,we race to stack.First to make a cord gets a cold one while the other continues stacking.

Sorry if I dont sound very helpful here,but same as you I hate the stacking part.Its just part of the game and not all of it can be fun.

Last edited:
You don't need the accuracy of a bandmill to rip the logs in half. Just get yourself a big chainsaw and cut them in half lengthwise. It might take 10 minutes per log (and waste some more wood with the wider kerf compared to a bandmill), but if you hit metal, you're only looking at a resharpening versus a destroyed bandsaw blade.

Plus, you can try it now using one of your saws to see if it'll work before dropping the big bucks for a 3120 or 880.

Stacking is easier and more fun when you don't have to crib the ends. I spent two years doing cribbed ends, then wised up to using 6' T posts. Drive them with a slight (10 degree) lean into the pile and they won't splay outward.

Maybe you know that already.... ?

N

Small time firewood operations are very labor intensive. Only way to cut the amount of labor down is to use a processor with conveyors. Then you are cutting your margin significantly. You'd then have to decide if you wanted to go really big by selling even more wood on a lower margin.
I'd think the only way to increase income on firewood for you is to get really big. When you have to buy the logs, selling 100 cord a year, still doesn't generate much profit for the work involved.

I always used high school kids to do the stacking and sorting back in the day. They were enrolled in the DECCA work program, and got out of school early. Cheap labor for me, they got the credits, a little money in their pockets, win win situation for all.
But in todays society it probably wouldn't work. Too much government regulation now.

We are "big"- only 2 guys doing 500 real cords/year- more when we get retailers hauling their own. Way too much to pile onto pallets, plus I hate trying to walk on pallets.
Cheap mills I've seen locally are around $4-$5K, and I figure they will rip a log in less time than it takes us to handle the firewood from that log twice, with a lot less physical effort. Hitting metal in the logs we get is not an issue.
We have the processor and conveyor. We don't crib the ends and posts just get in the way. A chainsaw mill is too labor intensive and too hard on the saw.
We do firewood because we enjoy it, and make a decent profit; but half the fun is thinking up easier and more efficient ways to work.
I know the experts claim firewood only dries from the ends, but I've seen too many recently split 10"-20" diameter, 12' logs logs that were seasoned dry through and through (even oak and hickory) to discount it.

First off, there is no such thing as a cheap bandsawmill.If you find one, let me know.A decent rig used is going to run you at least 2K, and that is still hard to find.

Second, dont think for a second that a small bandsaw is going to slice that log in half lengthwise in mere seconds.Most of the small units are slow, and there is considerable cost involved in milling.Hit one single orphaned metal piece and that band is gone,and they arent cheap.I dont even mill for folks anymore on the half for me, half for you routine.If they dont want to pay cash for the milling, I walk away.Half a load of any kind of wood hardly pays when you went through two bands to get the job done.I also charge extra if I hit any metal.Makes the customer more likely to admit that the trees where yard trees when they take the risk.

And last but not least, if you just simply cut the wood lengthwise but not cut into lengths, you arent going to see a lot of drying going on except at the ends.Wood primarily dries out the end grain,and a log even if its split lengthwise wont do a lot of drying.

If you are tired of the stacking routine, then you got three choices.

Hire some help cheap, a neighbor kid in school sometimes can be had for $10 a cord for stacking.

Pile your wood on pallets, learn how much wood takes a cord or ric in your truck, and throw it in loose off the pile.Doesnt season as well,but if conditions are right and you get it off the ground and give it a year you should be alright.

Give up the wood business altogther.Its all work, none of its fun except for the dropping and blocking, and learn to make a game out of stacking.When I cut with a buddy,we race to stack.First to make a cord gets a cold one while the other continues stacking.

Sorry if I dont sound very helpful here,but same as you I hate the stacking part.Its just part of the game and not all of it can be fun.

We are fortunate in the high desert w/ 10% RH. Wood dries out before it "seasons" . In CA, you'd have to offer a neighbor kid $20.00 / hour, full pension, and full benifits to get them to show up!! Said that, there will be little competition in the firewood biz not too far in the future.. too much darn work!!:D

easy simple solution.... pile it up and turn the pile every few weeks with the loader

woodtoms.jpg

I know the experts claim firewood only dries from the ends, but I've seen too many recently split 10"-20" diameter, 12' logs logs that were seasoned dry through and through (even oak and hickory) to discount it.

Depends on which "experts" you ask. Just don't try to change their minds.

Ripping logs with either a bandsaw or chainsaw is too time consuming. We're fairly small. Will prolly sell between 400-450 cords this year. We just split stack and let season.

Thinking a bit more on this, how about either splitting 8' or 4' lengths? You said you like a challenge! I had a customer who had a walk in fireplace that wanted 4' pieces of Red Oak. I built a platform that elevated me enough to swing the Monster Maul. It was only slightly more difficult that 16" pieces, and I charged him about 30% more. Surely with hydraulics this would be possible.

Start with a wedge in one end. Then split the whole log. Let me know if you want me to come up and show you how.

Ray

I was looking at my father inlaws flatbed today. The cylinder that makes the bed slide must have a 10 foot piston on it. It would make a heck of a log splitter. Load wood with a backhoe and thumb and just cut as it comes off.

Start with a wedge in one end. Then split the whole log. Let me know if you want me to come up and show you how.

Ray

Already done that- made 800' of double-rail split-rail fence from black locust by hand. Used wedges, sledges and mauls on all the 10' rails. Even with easy-splitting locust it was slow.;)

Latest posts

Back