Willow Tree Uses?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am going to be taking down a large willow tree on my property
that is wreaking havoc on my garage roof. My question is what can be done with the wood from this tree? I have always been told it is pure junk and has no use. Everyone has cautioned against burning it in the fireplace. I am curious as to what I can do other than run it to the land fill? Thanks for any suggestions.

Originally posted by Trtd61
Chunk it up, pile it by the road with a sign.... Free firewood

That won't work. But if your sign says, "FIREWOOD FOR SALE", someone will surely steal it. :angel:

Willow will burn for firewood. Not much heat and it burns like paper when it dries out but it will burn. I would not recomend burning it wet or it will smoke up the house. If you can't give it away split it up, dry it out and mix it with some hard wood in the fireplace.

I love Treeman's suggestion. Must be he lives urban and had some experience with that.

I had a pickup truckload of basswood get "stolen" once.  I was glad, yet felt sorry for the folks.

Glen

Just burn it. WGAS if it burns fast? Not like you're paying for premium hardwood, right?

I split it small, like 1"x1". Makes for getting some coals in the stove in a hurry... specially on those days when some idjut let the stove go out. It'll get the good stuff going in a hurry.

Max,

Ever since I noticed them tree trunk clocks for sale at $30 a pop at antique stores I've been fooling around finishing them in my basement. Mostly the pancake sections split on me as they dry out naturally or between a bit of stain and polyeurathaine (boy did I spell that wrong!). Every once in a while it works, especially if I just sand them flat and give it a good thick bath in poly.

I can't remember what a willow tree trunk looks like but it would be different and wouldn't cost much. Them hobby shops sell the AA clock kits pretty reasonable.

Also, if you like the bark or grain you could take a brance and kinda work out a cup placemat, I did that with last year's Christmas tree.

Hey Toronado3800,

I like that idea, the clock looks good. I'm guessing with the tree being aprox 80-90ft I have a truckload of clocks...it's just finding the time to do them! Thanks for the idea!

Latest posts

Back