Willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rguseman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed before but I could not find the old thread.

I just received two good-sized loads of willow. My intent was to stockpile it for 08-09 or 09-10 when we have the resources to buy a stove or insert. Right now we just have a fireplace with no insert, blower, etc. I recognize that the BTUs aren't the greatest but is there any reason that I should not burn willow that is seasoned for 1-2 years?

I never had much luck with willow, seems to rot before it gets seasoned. Maybe if it was in a dry barn or something but under a tarp it's like a sponge pulling the moisture out of the air seemingly.

Willow is a very light wood and is prone to a lot of rot after a year on the racks. I would not store it, considering it does not store well and it has half the heat value of better hardwoods that take up the same amount of space. I burn it here, only becasue we have an OWB and I can burn rotten and buggy wood. I also burn it (and any light grand fir and cottonwood) early in the heating season just to get rid of it. We also have a giant weeping willow tree that is falling down with age. Willow is also tough to cut with a chainsaw for some reason.

Last edited:
split it and stack it so that the air can flow freely around the split logs. try criss-crossing them as you stack.

i cut down a huge weeping willow a couple of years back and it dried and burned well....considering it was willow. the only problem is branch pieces that aren't split. those damn willows will grow a new shoot out of them.

I got some willow last year that I'm burning this year and it's lousy wood. Sure, it'll burn, but not all that hot and it leaves you with no coals. Windthrown is right, probably not worth the space it takes up so I wouldn't store it in lieu of other, better wood. However, if it's all you got, then as with everything, you do the best you can!

I am too. Two years ago when I decided to start scrounging for firewood instead of paying someone every year that was the first load I got from a tree service so silver maple will alway have a special place in my heart.

What I have found out is that for every load of "good" wood (elm, oak, ash, etc ) I get about two loads of willow. Not a complaint, just my experience and now I am trying to figure out the best way to use it. Judging by the posts thus far it seems that if it is well-seasoned it is OK to burn in a fireplace (mixed with good wood) just use it fast because it will rot in the stacks. Just don't plan on much heat which is OK by me since the fireplace is more for aesthetics. So far I haven't seen any concerns regarding creosote buildup (as mentioned in the thread concerning pine) which was my main concern.

Accurate summary of everyone's opinion on willow?

I burn it, straight pieces get used for kindling stock, works great for that, but if you use it in standard size pieces then let the fire breath well, my experience has shown it to burn kind of dirty unless the damper is open all the way and the ash pan is open just a bit. On days like today it would be fine, a decent fall/spring wood.

It can cut hard due to drawing up soil along with the water from the ground, so the dirt is all along the inside of the tree.

Free wood heats the house fine, you just need more of it when it's light weight, and as for comparing it to silver maple, no contest, the maple coals very well, and is generally easy to process, and burns clean. I've burned more silver maple than any other single wood variety, I'll take it anytime.

Hmmm...I must be using a different type of Willow than people are talking about.

My current 'using' supply has been in the stack for a minimum of 3 years and I suspect it was 4 years. Only sign of rot is discoloration of the chunk ends that were exposed to the weather. The bottom layer that was right on the ground does have a bit of rot but it only penetrates about 1/8".

As for rating it as firwood - not bad in an airtight. Hven't tried it in a fireplace. I, of course, burn more than I would of 'good' wood but then 'good' wood is not available unless I buy it. Willow I can get for free withing a few miles of the house.

http://mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html

Rates almost every species - Willow ranks right down at the bottom and just slightly better than Eastern Pine.

Harry K

I will have to agree with turnkey i burn a fair amount of willow and don't have the trouble some of you guys have.I have had it for three years stacked on the ground with no rot I do have it covered on the top only and it seems to be dry

tom

Hmmm...I must be using a different type of Willow than people are talking about.

My current 'using' supply has been in the stack for a minimum of 3 years and I suspect it was 4 years. Only sign of rot is discoloration of the chunk ends that were exposed to the weather. The bottom layer that was right on the ground does have a bit of rot but it only penetrates about 1/8".

As for rating it as firwood - not bad in an airtight. Hven't tried it in a fireplace. I, of course, burn more than I would of 'good' wood but then 'good' wood is not available unless I buy it. Willow I can get for free withing a few miles of the house.

http://mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html

Rates almost every species - Willow ranks right down at the bottom and just slightly better than Eastern Pine.

Harry K

good site you listed.

i printed out that page.

thanks.

Latest posts

Back