Willows on pond

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I let some willow trees get out of control on my pond levee.
I cut them down about 5 years ago when there were about 20 of them, now there are probably 200. I cut them all down again Saturday.
If I pour straight roundup on the stumps will it kill them?

Should I use 24d?
Or mix them together?
Now or wait til spring? or do both times.
I really want to get rid of em.
I will have to be carefull not to contaminate the water.
Thanks
Dan

Originally posted by danl
I cut them all down again Saturday.
Choices are to cut lower and immediately paint on herbicide, or wait for resprouting and carefully spray.

roundup concentrate works and is safer around water than 24d. Something else may be safer yet, but if you paint the cuts there should be no drift.

Thanks for the info.
As much as I want to get rid of these I may coat them with round-up and paint over that with Rustoleum.
Willows are very tenacious, the last time I cut them down, some of the tops fell in the pond, drifted to the other side, sprouted up and turned into small forests. Forunately, I can get to them with my dozer.
Thanks
Dan

Danl, Erik is kidding about the Rustoleum. Guy meant to paint(brush) on the herbicide concentrate as opposed to spraying. Just make a couple of pinholes in the safety seal on the bottle and dribble it directly on a FRESH cut. Concentrate on the outer perimeter of the stump.:angel:

I guess I fell for that, but He's a URBAN LOGGER.
Was wondering why black paint. Why not fuschia or pink?

Do I need to cut them all off again ? it will be a couple of days before I can apply any herbiciide.
Dan

Yes you need to cut them again-the cut must be fresh in moist green wood. The herbicide (Roundup as well as Triclopyr and others) is a systemic that must be transfered to the roots through the tree's vascular system-you have to have a sappy cut. Ideally treatment is applied within 20 minutes of cutting down the tree. It is too late for that so you have to recut lower or drill vertical holes deeply into the sapwood.

Actually, I was serious.

The black color makes it opaque, and it's inert when dry.

Not to mention cheap.

Back