Winch 101 Some Basics on Winch Ratings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow I hope

hopefully I'll get it tomorrow. On both ends of the valve body there's approximately a 3/4 inch plug (2 of them actually) On one end a 1/4 inch line comes out and goes up top. I didn't see any brand or numbers on the valve It is fairly clean but I may have to pressure wash it. Thanks

called the manufacturer

They said that it is a gresen valve body. It has power beyond on the end of the valve body there's a 1 3/8 inch plug (wrench size). He said he could also send me another section for the existing valve body and handle to go with it so it would look original. I don't know which is best. He also has not priced me the stuff. He said he would send me the stuff to do it either way. I would like to know a ballpark of what it should cost so I know if it's worth our effort to find the parts etc. They were extremely nice and helpful at Ramer Manufacturing.

They said that it is a gresen valve body. It has power beyond on the end of the valve body there's a 1 3/8 inch plug (wrench size). He said he could also send me another section for the existing valve body and handle to go with it so it would look original. I don't know which is best. He also has not priced me the stuff. He said he would send me the stuff to do it either way. I would like to know a ballpark of what it should cost so I know if it's worth our effort to find the parts etc. They were extremely nice and helpful at Ramer Manufacturing.

Location, location, location.

You need to decide from where you want to operate the winch. If the location of the grapple valves do not provide a clear view of the winch you may want to go remote and use the power beyond.
Adding a stack is probably a cleaner install, but function must come before beauty. If you do add a section be sure they give you the appropriate Gressen bolt and seal kit to put the sections together, don't use threaded rod as it will fatigue under constant loading.

Good Luck, hope I've been of some help.

Stay tuned, Chapter 2 Winch Types and Features is coming next rainy Saturday or Sunday.

Take Care

Back