Winch/hoist for flatbed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 1 ton Chevy flatbed dually. I am interested in mounting a winch hoist combo on it to skid and haul small loads of large logs. Kind of like a pulpwood setup only with a flatbed. I have also entertained the idea of mounting a winch/hoist on my 2 ton dump. Any online sources to look at that sell these kind of combos or kits? I am not much of a fabricator but wouldn't be opposed to hiring someone to build and mount one for me. Is it more trouble to build one than it's worth? Any input is appreciated.

Years ago I had a one ton with an electric winch in the front of the dump bed. I rigged it with an A-frame made out of 2" schedule 40 pipe mounted to the very rear of the bed with bolts through the same tabs that the hinged tailgate had been mounted on.

The A frame was supported by a chain hooked to the front of the bed, slightly closer to the rear of the truck than the winch.

You could lower the cable to a chain around some large heavy object, lift it up to height, then keep reeling in the winch until the load was dropped into the bed as the A-frame went over the top.

You should understand that this method is VERY tricky to use, and once the A-frame goes beyond 45° from perpendicular, it is likely to flip over, dropping the load. We mostly used it to pick up heavy stuff to set on OTHER trucks, since getting a load on the bed it was mounted to was a precarious proposition at best. The lifting power was impressive, however.

Better: use 2 rigid stays instead of a chain at the top, then you would have a much safer loading device, and could be rigged to load itself. You would probably want to use pipe sections that fit inside each other, with holes drilled in them for adjustable length. Then you could really extend the A-frame for long reach, and pull the pins and shorten the rig for transportation.

You loose a lot of area on the truck bed for the structural elements of the hoist. By the time you are done, it probably won't be worth the effort unless you will use it to load other trucks.

Last edited:
small truck stuff

I just bought a 3/4 ton Dodge and it comes with a dump insert from www.bri-mar.com I don't know that they make winch kits but they might be able to tell you who does. It's a two yard kit but you can load 7-8 yards on it with the sides on. It makes hauling chips from small jobs easier and you don't need a cdl to drive a big chip truck.

tree MD ... go by Steve's wholesale at 51st & Mingo ... they've got a pedestal mount, hydraulic Pickup truck crane with a small boom. operates similar to a cherry picker for pulling motors. a small hand crank or electric winch can be placed on tip of small boom. aprox. $150 for a hand cranked setup.

pedestal base will mount easily on flat bed or where ever you can mount base. then yank entire boom assembly when not in use to get out of the way.

Harbor freight (21st Yale) also has a similar setup... but quality is not nearly as good. here's a pic of a similar setup

01647.gif

37555.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37555

I'm looking at a 1 ton Chevy flatbed dually. I am interested in mounting a winch hoist combo on it to skid and haul small loads of large logs. Kind of like a pulpwood setup only with a flatbed. I have also entertained the idea of mounting a winch/hoist on my 2 ton dump. Any online sources to look at that sell these kind of combos or kits? I am not much of a fabricator but wouldn't be opposed to hiring someone to build and mount one for me. Is it more trouble to build one than it's worth? Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back