Winches--Best models??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a definate can't go wrong purchase. I have had my lewis winch for 15 years now, I couldn't tell you how many places or uses we have put that rig through. actually had it out today for the first removal of the season. works great for pulling over leaners, and retrieving logs from gullies. use a big cc. saw I have mine on an old stihl 44. the beauty is that you can take it anywhere, you are not battery dependent. like a truck mount. last fall it saved us from a miserable stuggle, when we dropped a 1000 pound moose in a muddy lake, spooled out a 100ft. of cable, wrapped it around the horns and fired up the ol' saw and hauled that critter right up on shore. I see they are advertised in the Bailie's catalog

I love mine. I have a 031 mounted to it most of the time.Not something you want to pack very far unless dragging a 1000 lb Moose is the other option.It doesn't sound like you had the opportunity, but if you have the winch tied at the animal end you can steer it through the woods.Works great with Elk and big deer.

here is what I use, a Warn 3700 portable winch with one deep cycle battery. You can move the winch where you want it, to the side of your trailer to pull logs to the truck, to the front of your truck if you are stuck, what ever you have in mind. With a snatch block you double your pulling power, and I have used the winch for hours on one charge. Its been rare that I have run out of juice before I dragged the wood to the trailer and into the back, and then only because I was dragging through brush or the wood was some big stuff.

That looks pretty handy. I'm probably thinking overkill since my only experience is with self-recovery winches. I have no doubt it takes a bit more power to yank a 1-ton on big tires and sunk to the frame out of a swamphole than to yank a log. Maybe they aren't even really comparable.

Winch Mounted on Splitter

Here are a couple of shots of a Warn M 5000 mounted on my splitter.

I use it to pull logs closer to the splitter. Move the splitter closer to the rounds. & Lift rounds using the crane mounted on top of the spliter beam.

I have made up a 30 foot long control cable so I can walk out into the area where I am working and still control the winch.

This is a great set up and the splitter motor keeps the battery charged up so no problem with winching.

The cable on the winch is 1/4" wire and only 50 feet long so I don't have to worry about it bunching up.

That looks pretty handy. I'm probably thinking overkill since my only experience is with self-recovery winches. I have no doubt it takes a bit more power to yank a 1-ton on big tires and sunk to the frame out of a swamphole than to yank a log. Maybe they aren't even really comparable.

Yep, the warn 3700 is not going to be a lot of help pulling a truck seriously dug in unless you have a genie in a bottle handy, but it has gotten me out of some mud where the frame is off the ground. But, it does the job that I bought it for, it has dragged tons of stuff into my trailer,even stuff that was far heavier than I had any business hauling.

Here are a couple of shots of a Warn M 5000 mounted on my splitter.

I use it to pull logs closer to the splitter. Move the splitter closer to the rounds. & Lift rounds using the crane mounted on top of the spliter beam.

I have made up a 30 foot long control cable so I can walk out into the area where I am working and still control the winch.

This is a great set up and the splitter motor keeps the battery charged up so no problem with winching.

The cable on the winch is 1/4" wire and only 50 feet long so I don't have to worry about it bunching up.

That looks like a neat setup. I have considered putting a crane on my trailer, sometimes I think it would be a big help to lift short pieces into the trailer rather than always drag them in.
Project for the winter months I guess....

best model, i prefer tall busty redhead,brunetts will do the trick also :clap: oh you guys are talkin the pullin type ive had several types just go big as you can afford stay away from the no name brands IMO best winch i ever had was a pierce they make tow truck equipment that thing would stand my fullsize suburban 5 feet in air not even slow down.

Latest posts

Back