Winches...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paolo cuccia

Reaction score
Hi everybody
I would like to understand more or less the percentage of you who uses a winch to make a controlled descend during the cutting of a tree...

Is the winch a common tools? Which are the best brand?

Thanks in advance for your reply...
Paolo

Unless you actually need to seriously pre-tension (winch) something, I don't see any reason to put an expensive, heavy piece of equipment in harm's way rather than a port-a-wrap. Even a porty can be used with a rope puller or pulley set up for pretensioning.

btw, welcome to Arboristsite, Paolo!
I recently purchased a used H2 - Hobbs lowering device, but up till now have used a port-a-wrap, which works just fine.
The GRCS looks very nice, but I don't have enough years left in this biz for the economics of buying one to make sense.

Hi Pelorus
thanks for your welcome and the answer!
I want understand more of the winch business, so I hope in much more opinions from other persons...

best regards
Paolo

Best regards to you too, Paolo!
I'd consider a GRCS a luxury $$$ purchase that would get used occasionally.
Be a nice piece of shiny kit to own though.

Ciao,
Dave

There are several YouTube videos featuring the GRCS. I haven't watched them, so I cannot comment on how they might help you understand the GRCS.

Hi Hoowasat, I know there are many videos on Youtube and I have seen them, but my questions were other:

I would like to understand more or less the percentage of you who uses a winch to make a controlled descend during the cutting of a tree...

Thanks, Paolo

I only normally use my grcs when I need to raise branches when limbing out the tree. I have also used it speedlining branches over obstacles. Other then that I use a porta wrap. It is nice to have a grcs when you need one.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Never used a GRCS or similar but they look good on YouTube. Use a porta wrap for lowering, very occasionally we hire a tirfor winch for pulling over fat stems in tight spots but that's a completely different tool

Sent from my GT-I9210T

Last edited:
I've used the GCRS in the past -- its one of the those things that when you have it, it can really make the situation go very smoothly -- but the times when you actually need it are few and far between. In most cases, its more time and handling that what its worth. It does have its uses though; we've used it to pretension lines, it works really slick for zip lining or speedlining tree portions away from the work zone. We've used it to free up, pull up on branches that have gotten hung up as they were being rigged down, or storm damaged limbs off of other trees, structures, etc. But for the money though, you can get a lot of other gear that is more versatile and that you will need and use every single day.

Hi everybody

Thanks in advance for your reply...
Paolo

I do. Was recently persuaded by others on this forum to buy a Winch, and I use it occasionally to guide branches as well as move the heavy loads to my chipper. I actually do like the Capstan winches because of their ability to pull long distances and giving a constant pulling power. The brand I use is Portable Winch from West Coast Winch. I don't know of many others, but this particular product has worked fantastic so far.

Are you asking about lowering limbs (or chunks) or using it when you are felling a tree?

I think he is talking about both or either. In my opinion, you could use a winch for either and both.

Latest posts

Back