Wind Storm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redprospector

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Me & bullbuck mentioned the wind storm we had a couple of weeks ago, I finally got around to loading some pic's so I thought I'd post some. Sorry, I didn't get any of the 440 doing the "moon walk".

It started out a week earlier with a healthy dump of snow. This is the view out my front door.
Phonepictures103.jpg

This is my wife's Explorer.
Phonepictures104.jpg

Then we had a week of pretty warm weather so the ground got good & saturated. So when the winds picked up the fun started. The powers that be said that sustained winds were a little over 60 mph, with gust's over 90.

Here's one that broke off.
Phonepictures112.jpg

Here's where it landed.
Phonepictures111.jpg

Andy

This one was almost a miss, but not quite. Their roof couldn't take it either.
Phonepictures113.jpg

This guy was lucky...................it was just the top, and not the whole tree.
Phonepictures120.jpg

A lot of roofs that looked like this around town.
Phonepictures117.jpg

Andy

No, we fared pretty well. Top broke out of one old Doug Fir at our house we're remodeling, but it missed everything. Just a little mess to clean up, but that won't happen untill the paying clean up is over. ;)

Andy

Is that area like AZ where the people have summer homes and try to save every tree to where they actually build decks and the house around them?

Maybe that changed since the Rodeo Chasomething fire.

We had a wind about two and a half weeks ago but it seemed to be concentrated in the valley, and a couple of drainages. We'll maybe find it hit more places when the snow is gone.

Is that area like AZ where the people have summer homes and try to save every tree to where they actually build decks and the house around them?

Maybe that changed since the Rodeo Chasomething fire.

We had a wind about two and a half weeks ago but it seemed to be concentrated in the valley, and a couple of drainages. We'll maybe find it hit more places when the snow is gone.

Yep, that is exactly what it's like. I used to make pretty good money taking trees out that had been built around, then old age started catching up with me. I once took down a Ponderosa that was in the middle of the guy's living room. He was real proud of the fact that he had built a 3000 sq ft house without having to cut a single tree................untill I handed him the bill.
People who build houses around trees will never change.

Andy

Yup. The people across the road from me in Overgaard had a forked Ponderosa that their house was built around. I always expected them to get hit by lightning. I thinned around my house. Which, I saw, survived the fires unscathed. The wind down there does blow a lot.

nice pics andy,that was a crazy day,i heard they clocked winds at san augustine pass at 118m.p.h,category 4 hurricane i believe?

Wasn't much time for pics once the fun started, but I did manage to squeeze off a few. That first day was unreal. First time I ever ran a saw while sheets of metal roofing were blowing down the street. :dizzy: In hind sight we realy should have waited till the wind quit before we let them stick us out there.

Andy

Here's a few chunks loaded on my trailer. These were from a tree that blew down across a road, the top 1/2 was laying across a house.
Phonepictures125.jpg

This is a deck of logs we cleaned up from around the repeter tower, so emergency folks could talk on their radios.
Phonepictures126.jpg

Here's a beautiful New Mexico sunset.
Phonepictures127.jpg

Andy

Interesting pics, thanks for sharing them. Looks like that storm didn't like cars too much.

Mr. HE:cool:

Wow Andy, you guys are getting waaay more snow than us so far. And y'all can keep that wind. :jawdrop:

At least ya got some nice timber out'a the deal. . . You gonna run it through your mill?

Merry Christmas! :cheers:

Wow Andy, you guys are getting waaay more snow than us so far. And y'all can keep that wind. :jawdrop:

At least ya got some nice timber out'a the deal. . . You gonna run it through your mill?

Merry Christmas! :cheers:

It's all going to wind up firewood except for the little deck that I showed. I've never milled a log from this town that didn't have at least some metal in it, and usually more than that. The logs in that deck were far enough from the residential part of town that they are worth the risk I think.

Oh, I've already packed that wind up and put it on UPS. You should be getting it soon. Merry Christmas to you too. :) :cheers:

Andy

Wasn't much time for pics once the fun started, but I did manage to squeeze off a few. That first day was unreal. First time I ever ran a saw while sheets of metal roofing were blowing down the street. :dizzy: In hind sight we realy should have waited till the wind quit before we let them stick us out there.

Andy

yeah that might of been a wiser idea,but a moving target is much harder to hit,plus i didnt really want to be sitting around in this house with those two foot pondos i got bowed over the top of it,the roots werent lifting at all though,it was really a better idea not to even look up that day,every time i did i didnt like at all what i saw:jawdrop:

It's all going to wind up firewood except for the little deck that I showed. I've never milled a log from this town that didn't have at least some metal in it, and usually more than that. The logs in that deck were far enough from the residential part of town that they are worth the risk I think.

Oh, I've already packed that wind up and put it on UPS. You should be getting it soon. Merry Christmas to you too. :) :cheers:

Andy

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back