Winter logging with pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a great set-up you got there. The right tools sure can make
a difference. I am coveting your trailer for sure. That is something I still need to add to my operation someday. Great job, and thanks for the pics.

Maplemeister:

The guy in the black looks like my local Husky/J-red dealer:monkey:
attachment.php

Trailer weight

We haven't ever weighed it, but I would like to. I figure 11k to 12k. I got the privelige of towing the trailer home. I pulled good but boy you could tell it was heavy. But that trailer has great brakes, just turn them up and you do not need to hit the brakes any harder on the truck than without a load.

Very nice pictures,thanks for sharing,its also a nice load of wood! I think dump trailers are a lot like dump trucks,they get overloaded as a way of life.I like a 12 or 14K GVWR minimum on dump trailers,because they are so easy to overload.The towing trucks more than enough,looks like a good days work!

What can you tell us jealous types about your tractor?

What horse? What implements? Expensive? ( no problem if you dont want to answer) 2wd or 4wd? does it get thru snow? What wou you do different?

Thanks in advance for info as I am retiring soon and looking at (I hope) a tractor!

I'm the guy in the middle.The tractor is 23 hp and 17 hp at the pto. It will go through about 8 to 10 in of snow. But what's nice if you can pack it down it doesn't care. It is 4wd With a locking rear diff. We have a rear blade and a chipper shredder for it . With the chains it goes really well. I bought it as a leftover has some faded paint on the hood 13000 with the bucket and a belly mower 60 in . I love it . If would do any different about the tractor I wish the ground clearance was higher but than it would be mor tipy.

Nice pics - I have a friend with a little NH compact same size as yours I cut with occasionally, bucket is just right for being a log loader for the splitter. They are handy little beasts, for sure.

What part of the state are you in? Going to grandpatractor's GTG in March?

We are in cental WI. Berlin and Neshkoro, they are 20 to 30 miles west of Oshkosh.

Lots of weight on the back, and chains? I always thought 4wd would eliminate the need for that, guess not. Mine 2wd is useless without chains once there is more than an inch of snow on the ground, and rear weights are next on the list. Any tractor, however is a blessing to help with the woodworking chore. Get some forks for the front, in any type of configuration and you will really be out of the woods fast.

You guys should try to make it to GrandpaTractors gtg, its a good time.

It's nice to have good equipment and good help!

It's nice to have good equipment and good help! :clap: I bet you guys can reduce a tree to round in a short order!

Do the other two guys burn wood too?

How do you load your trailer you pull behind the tractor?

Inquiring minds want to know! LOL

attachment.php

Some of you guys might be interested in this from Northern Tool: I'm thinking about building one.
attachment.php

Last edited:

We all burn wood, The one farthest back just cuts for the home. My brother and I the 2 in the front have a tree service business and firewood sales. So our buddy helps us cut and we give him free wood. Works out good for the both of us. We hand load the little trailer, but if we get really big rounds we put the trailer on stands and we use the tractor with the skidding tongs. It works out good. We can fit a face on the tractor, so 7 trailers will fill the dump trailer. Took us 4 hours to fill the trailer.

Back