Winter setting question on a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitetail20

Reaction score
Hi, I know it's getting nicer out now but I have question I wanted to ask on winter chainsaw operation. Most chainsaws have a winter and summer operation mode on them and I was wondering, does anyone actually use the winter operation or does most people just keep it in summer all year long? How important is the winter operation? Most my cutting is in temps 0-32 degrees Fahrenheit, thanks

When it gets very cold here, say -15F and colder I will change over the air flaps to run warm air into the airbox. Some of my saws are Arctic models so a flip of the switch makes them warm, there is a plate that warms up and warms the carb.

I'll open the winter shutter if I'm cutting in temps below 20 Fahrenheit. It's generally not a necessity unless you have carburetor icing problems. Most important thing is to remember to close it for warmer temp operating.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I have 3 saws with shutters from different manufacturer's neither seem to have icing problems , however I do fick the diverter to winter mode when cutting below 20 f . The only significant real time difference is within bar oil , I always run thinner winter grade , may use more but helps prevent any oiler plugging issues even in the summer . I usually set it for medium flow then .

When it gets very cold here, say -15F and colder I will change over the air flaps to run warm air into the airbox. Some of my saws are Arctic models so a flip of the switch makes them warm, there is a plate that warms up and warms the carb.

Any more opinions on the cold weather setting?

you really don't need any more.

My buddy has a newer MS170 and I don't see a winter/summer shutter to switch for the cold weather. I don't see any mention of it in the manual, either. Is there one on these newer MS170's?

I don't have one on my MS170. My 291 and 362 have them, and I use them from Dec to Mar here in Ontario.

Back