Winter tuning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Do all of ya'll in here tune your saws for winter cutting? I know from past experience mine run wayyy lean. Should you adjust them a bit richer in the winter, then back a little lean in the summer? Do any of ya'll even bother doing that? What sound do I look for? I know the diff between a rich/lean mixture sound, but do you get as knitpicky as putting a timing light on it to get it exact??? I do run all my saws a little rich. I've been told this prolongs life. If you run husky's and stihls do you use different mixes for each of them, i.e. different gas cans? A spark plug is cheaper than a rebuild kit... Thanks for the info dudes...

Hey, one question per post:laugh:

I'll make a simple answer - you should be thinking about the tuning more then just "summer" / "winter". A slightly dirty air cleaner will have more effect that a seasonal change, and when is it really winter anyhow?

If you are already slightly rich, there is not much to worry about. If you are going to cut in extreme conditions (hot/cold/altitude), than maybe check again.

If your area changes gas to a winter formulation, then that a real good reason to readjust your saw and might be part of the explanation as to why your saw sounds "lean" (not just denser air).

Adjustment of the H is for the "4 cycling sound", or "blubber" or whatever... if you can hear it clearly... Lots of info on this site covering that.

A timing light has nothing to do with mixture. A tach is a good backup to check your adjustment, or, a good primary adjuster if you can't hear a clear blubber.

Husky and Stihl can use the same mix.

Latest posts

Back