Winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have about 8-10" of leftover from last Thursday and Friday. 29* and NE wind. Yould you guys please keep the snow as I am already sick of the sleders screaming past the abode at 2:00 am doing 60 70 mph. I'm sure they are sober and riding responsably NOT!

How about just accidentally dropping a few logs in their projected path. Speed Bumps! :hmm3grin2orange:

Log chain strung between 2 telephone poles. :msp_sneaky:

A number of years ago My Dad had a trailer parked by the road with a car in front of it some idiots broke the winch off the trailer. They had to ride 35'-40' off the road to get between the two. I was at the gas station griping to a friend about it I said we were going to string piano wire up to catch the next bunch. There was a couple of sledders in the store that overheard me and one "rocket scientist" asked where this was so they wouldn't get caught in the trap. So I just told him to look for the burning pile of sleds and a bunch of bloody helmits off to the side then don't ride through there.:hmm3grin2orange:The funny part is I think he believed it.

No blizzard.... Bummer.

We only got about 4-5" in Grant County. I plowed our lane early anticipating the 10-12" they were forecasting. I am ready for a nice blizzard--- I am on vacation til the 2nd from the power company, have lots of seasoned wood to burn, generator is fueled and ready to rock. All I needed was more snow & some blustery wind. When we have those conditions and don't have to work, it is like prepping for the uncertainty of the future. Oh well, winter just began a few days ago. Bring it on!!!!

Hauled a good Cord into the basement this afternoon.
Good timing as the the snow is falling hard now, finally..

Just saying ...

I've been with some people from Alberta Canada the last few days here in the PNW and they were saying how cold it is here and when the left Alberta they had snow on the ground and here there is no snow and it's been in the 30's with a touch of wind blowing

It looks like I might have to break out the chainsaws tomorrow! There are a lot of limbs down on the road from the rain that turned to ice on the branches. I Had to go just a few miles this evening and it was a regular obstacle course. Add to it the roads were slick with a nice coating of ice on em.

The temperature has been holding @ 32.5 degrees though.

They were calling for 1-3" for Central Pa, then when we got 4" on the ground they changed the forecast and called for 3-5" Last I measured we had 7". Not a major storm in my book, but enough to mess with. Hope it does not turn to freezing rain in the wee hours. Got to play with the plow clearing the drive and the neighbors turnaround. Winter has finally arrived. Sure feel for the folks down south, they had some nasty winds and tornadoes, on Christmas no less. When did the weather service start naming Winter Storms?

Funny how everything now a days is a storm..
40-50 years ago it was snow fall and a lot of it..

Got about 6 in. of wet heavy snow in Hood River from Saturday through the 25th. Went skiing/snowshoeing around town with my wife and son home from college (20 yrs. old). Had a great Solstice party on Saturday (obviously not very observant, as that was the not the 21st. Dove back into paperwork today and found out things are WORSE than I thought in the bills vs. invoices department:msp_mad:.

Gonna have to bite off a piece going into the New Year! Shake the trees? Luckily, there area lot of beetle infested pine, and I am going to go after those jobs, maybe teaming up with some other arborists and loggers to pool equipment.

Getting off topic -- snow is melting, but more expected. In the Gorge, you can get a bunch of snow even if warm at ground level because of cold air sitting on warm wet air --- and sometimes ice storms. Not that I am wishing for one....:D

just took this pic out the back door, i think it's about done here. the dog likes to lay right beside the wood burner when cold weather hits, he don't like winter.

Spent the day switching over from logging and cutting to plowing and blowing. I ran the 25-30 rounds thru the splitter and got everything that was split all stacked up.

Moved the logs that i didn't get a chance to buck up out of the way and then took the grapple and winch off the tractor and put on the snow plow and blower.

Supposed to get 14-18", so I guess my logging is done until spring. I was hoping to drop another 12 trees that I marked on Monday.

Hope everyone stays warm!

Blue Knob Buck, Your just down the road from me and you will end up with more snow no doubt. Good luck getting off that knob tomorrow morning if you have to go out.:)

We're going to get the first measurable storm of the year tomorrow in Rhode Island. They're calling for 4"-6" in my area. Not a blockbuster storm but enough that I'll gas the snow blower up. It's supposed to stay colder than average for the upcoming week so maybe winter has finally arrived in Southern New England.

I'm going to cover my most recent stack of oak I split a couple weeks ago and try to split the trailer load (5 X 10 trailer) of maple I have before the snow starts.

We are getting another 2" or so this a.m. on top of the 8" Wed.
I have plenty of wood.
Bring it on!..............................:msp_biggrin:

10 degrees this morning. Just got 18-20" out the last snow and 4-6 on the way tonight. Barely able to drive around on my atv trails to keep em packed down. Pretty fun though!
My cutting is def on hold for awhile.
"its been 5 days since I killed me a tree and already I got the itch" (Majoy Payne refernece...)

Back