Wire core lanyard vs nonwire core

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just like the stiffness of the cable. and the ease of swinging it around a big stick. the fact that it's "chain saw resisitant" is not a factor in my useing it. if i'm stupid enough to cut through my flip line i deserve what i get.

when i'm humping a saw around on my hip i don't care if my flip line weighs a pound more. if i was so concerned about being light weight when i climb i'd loose more weight from my gut, and cut my hair.:D

has anyone actually tried to cut through a steel core? i certainly expect that it can be done, but the few times that i have caught a bit of wire fence when bucking down a stump the wire has stopped the saw dead.

it would be interesting to do a test. anyone have a saw to volunteer?

I have taken part in a test of saw vs. cable core lanyard. We used a Stihl 036, middle-aged chain, recently sharpened. The lanyard was 3/4 inch manila with 3/16 inch cable core. When the lanyard was tensioned over a log by two stout assistants the saw ate that lanyard right up. With less tension on the lanyard there was better resistance, but it cut pretty quickly, too. I think that in the "just nicked it" scenario you have some safety benefits with the cable, but if you are cutting blind, dogged in and going hard, you would maybe not find out 'til too late.

For spur climbing on stems over about 20 inches, cable core is the only way to go, due to ease of handling. And since I climb with a pair of 15 footers (big trees out here), you can see that the disadvantage of the weight does not overpower the advantage of ease of use for me.

I have to agree about the ease of use for climbing larger stems, as they really do make it easier to advance your line. The extra weight isn't an issue for me at all.

So from what I'm gathering here. It's a good idea to have one on large stalks or removals. As far as reducing the risk of cutting through it. Not really an issue. For big wood it's the way to go. You should have both a steel core and a nonsteel core in your gear. Cool
My boss has one I'm going to try out and he also said he'd buy me one if I wanted it.
Thanks,BB

Latest posts

Back