wire edge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warmouth

Reaction score
howdy i have a problem , while sharpening my chain i get a wire edge on the teeth . i have a new file and still does it . i also use a huskvarna sharpening guide with the rollers on it , (i have 2 sizes 1 for my big saw and 1 for my trim saw) . my big 1 doesn't make a wire edge but my little one does any ideas :( thanks for the advise ,.
Warmouth

When sharpening with a file, the correct way is from the 'inside out' for most chains. This will normally produce a slight 'wire edge' on the outside of the side plate.

It will disappear as soon as you start cutting with the chain.

Philbert

attachment.php

Last edited:
A large, very noticable 'wire edge' or 'burr' can peel back and strip the chrome off the tooth, this seems to happen more when you've had to file the tooth a lot to get a good clean edge, a touchup file (2 or 3 strokes) doesn't result in much of a 'burr' and usually is ok to leave.

If you have a big 'burr' or you're just fussy (as I sometimes am!), as long as your file handle is wood, use the end to smack the top of the tooth till the wire disappears, also run it around the curve of the side plate. This will not dull the chain, just removes the 'wire'.

If a wire edge appears, it should just flick off with your gloved thumb. But watch the depth of your cut, your angle may be just right but you could be too deep into the chain, which will produce a very thin bevel on the cutting edge which is more prone to producing an excessive wire edge.

Sylvia (with David's expert advice :clap:)

Latest posts

Back