Wisteria damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walnutseeker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I planted some young wisteria in my yard in April of this year. These were leafing out nicely, but my landscaper this week either thought one of them was a weed or was not paying attention and lopped off all of the new growth with a weed whacker. What are the chances that this will survive? Any tips for bringing it back from the edge are appreciated.

Attachments

• 1A3249ED-384E-4003-998F-1C6F0470DB22.jpeg
    1A3249ED-384E-4003-998F-1C6F0470DB22.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Although I have never cut down any wisteria by accident, I think you can count on it coming back. If it has had enough time to sink roots, it will probably bounce back. That will depend a lot on the soil it is planted in, and a bit of luck.

That being said, vines are growers. Their natural habit is to be browsed and chewed off by herbivores, so I would expect it to come back.
NEXT: Give your little vines some mulch, so as to cool their feet and let the lawn monkey know that it a landscaping plant. Vines typically grow in the shade, too, so don't let the sunlight burn it up. Vines (in general) grow at the feet of shade trees, and must ascend to the sunlight. Mulch & moisture will help.

If nothing else, you have only lost two months of growth. You can always replant.

Wisteria is very hard to kill. That plant will grow back. I'd prune those frayed edges off smooth though.

I've got about a dozen growing in 4 gallon pots that flower white.

The white ones are pretty valuable and if trained almost everyday can grow into a nice free standing little tree.

white wisteria.jpg

I planted some young wisteria in my yard in April of this year. These were leafing out nicely, but my landscaper this week either thought one of them was a weed or was not paying attention and lopped off all of the new growth with a weed whacker. What are the chances that this will survive? Any tips for bringing it back from the edge are appreciated.
It’s wisteria…killing it is nearly impossible. It is recommended that it be pruned…with a chainsaw. (Not kidding…wife has a gardening book that states as such, lol)

If he did not spray it with a good strong herbicide it will come back.

That stuff is hard to kill. You will also see new stuff coming up from the roots.

You might also want to review:
All parts of the wisteria plant contain substances called lectin and wisterin, which are toxic to pets, livestock, and humans ...

Wisteria can be trained to grow into a tree. Here is one at our old house. Be aware however, they are an invasive species, and the vines run along the ground. If left unchecked they can take over your property.

Attachments

• wisteria.jpg
    wisteria.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 0
Back