Woob Boiler wood vs old heating method

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am wanting a comparison of us OWB owners comparing what they used to use to what they use today and the amounts they use.

I will start:
I used to use Natural Gas and used 4800 therms.
I now use only wood and use about 24 cords of junky mixed wood.

So what did everyone else use

7000 sqft, indoor pool, 2 water heaters, spa.

Never cold anymore :)

All year around, live in the woods very little natural light.

my OWB saves me around $300-$500 a month in winter depending on weather.our electric,and natural gas rates increased last winter so my savings are going to be more this year.

The house was using 5400L a year (The house was unoccupied for almost 10 years and kept just above freezing) After we moved in I figured our heating cost in January to be approx $30.00 a day on oil :dizzy: Now with the OWB Im figuring on approx 14 cords. Now if you factor in the cost of the OWB and if I was to buy logs I would still be further ahead than burning oil, at least I now have an OWB and all of our $$$ is not going towards paying for oil. I have enough wood on our property to last at least 5 years then I might end up buying logs so heating costs will be $2000 for the year including hot water.

I used to use about 1400 galons of Iraqis finest and about 4-5 face cords in the masonry heater. Now with OWB i burn 24-30 face cords of wood in the OWB and one or two face cords in the masonry heater, along with maybe 8 gallons of fuel. I cut all my own wood, so i get a lot of excercise, and I am making the woods a better enviroment for deer, by selectivlyh cutting trees that are nearing the end of thier life or have already. I have a small sugarbush so I do a lot of thinning.
i want to guess that my face cords translate to roughly 8 or 9 regullar cords?

I have built a greenhouse and wood storage buildng around my OWB and have noticed large difference in wood consumption during the coldest months.

my owb is saving me a good 3200-3900 per year and more when the fuel was higher. but my biggest payment is that im saying "up yours" to the man and you cant put a price on that,

Built our house with a owb planned used 100 gallons a month of propane at 2.85. say 300 a month in propane for 5 months. we save at least 1500 bucks a year. the house is toasty. the wife wears less when its toasty. i have a smile where she wears less. and when its cold out its fun to find things to do in the house. like the half naked wifey. :greenchainsaw:

I used to burn 500 gallons of propane every 5 to 6 weeks in my house but now with the OWB (20 year old Taylor T-450) I burn 12 to 15 full cord per year heating my house and my garage.

Latest posts

Back