wood ash uses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ash for garden use. It is the same as using Lime. (you should have an idea on where the ph is of your garden.. ( But I haven't had ill affects in the years I have done it but I have LARGE gardens. LOL) I also use it for traction up by the chicken coop.

nope,turns the soil ACID

nope,turns the soil ACID

Retake that chemistry class Oly. Wood ash has a high pH. (it's alkaline) like lime. Anything that is acidic has a low ph. If you add wood ash to soil-soil pH goes up not down. It does have some minor fertilizing value-adds some potash mainly. If your soil is normal (pH=7) or above - don't make heavy applications to your garden.

Retake that chemistry class Oly. Wood ash has a high pH. (it's alkaline) like lime. Anything that is acidic has a low ph. If you add wood ash to soil-soil pH goes up not down. It does have some minor fertilizing value-adds some potash mainly. If your soil is normal (pH=7) or above - don't make heavy applications to your garden.
Yup, wood ash is very basic... they easiest way to provide evidence is to look at how the pioneers made homemade soap. They poured water through wood ash and out came lye. Lye is extremely basic. There is no possible way to pour water through an acidic substrate and get a very basic by-product. Wood ash is basic, period.

It can be used as a liming agent, but be careful how much you put on, being in powder form allows it to act very quickly.

Thanks Jorge for correcting Oly's bad info. Wood ashes are a resource...not a waste product of wood burning.

No problem Treeco. Makes me curious what kind of soil test guys like Oly do which shows "toooo acid" after an ash application. Defies basic laws of chemistry. Blending the ash with composted manure before applying works well on our heavy clay soils.

just keep going to any thread you can find me on--TROLLLLLL, to give out your smart mouth answers, mr non-farmer pseudo wanna be

Yup, wood ash is very basic... they easiest way to provide evidence is to look at how the pioneers made homemade soap. They poured water through wood ash and out came lye. Lye is extremely basic. There is no possible way to pour water through an acidic substrate and get a very basic by-product. Wood ash is basic, period.

It can be used as a liming agent, but be careful how much you put on, being in powder form allows it to act very quickly.

if you put your hand in lye---:hmm3grin2orange:

just keep going to any thread you can find me on--TROLLLLLL, to give out your smart mouth answers, mr non-farmer pseudo wanna be

You take soil chemistry a little personally don't you Oly. I find your reply to be a little acidic.

I am not going to get in a web fight about the use of ash- but it is alkaline -fact, and so is Lime. if you use too much of either you will cause growing problems. I suspect that the poster with soil issues is actually too alkaline not acidic.

Wood Ash in the Garden for more reading.

Lime, wood ash high Ph. Alkaline, no ? Locals call it "sweetening" the soil. We dump them on the septic field.:blob2:

With our snow banks getting up there, ash does help melt them. Butt, be warned, when emptying the stove ash pans @ oh-dark-hundred, before the morning cafe, be sure to hurl the contents WITH the prevailing winds. Live coals can do a job on your "do" and beard. :bang:

P.S. Where's my spellchecker ? Please ?

Another big help for melting is the fact that the ash, being dark, helps "draw" the sun. I use mine on my road, far enough from the house that they don't get tracked in (as much). Closer to the house I use salt/sand from the pile at the town garage.

I found this information from the university of Oregon. Had my soil tested and it came out acidic (my understanding is that new england tends to be).

Wood ash can be useful in yard if used with caution

In short the university confirms, if you soil is acidic it can be beneficial to add ash to your lawn.

For people in Ct, Uconn's agricultural school will test your soil for $10.

I spread some in the gardens, I haven't tried any on the grass thou, I might give that a shot since I can seem to get anything else to help the green weeds I call Grass. The rest go out in the trash after cool down.

Just curious, but just how much ash are you guys getting? I burn nearly 24/7 and I get maybe a couple small handfulls a week.

I sprinkle some down the hole of the outhouse up at the hunting shack, helps with the smell.

Latest posts

Back