Wood Borers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Are wood borers active now? I've got some Cherry Lurals that I treated in the spring that are looking a little shabby again. I don't know if its wood borers again or the drought.

I'm not sure what kind of wood borer was present. I used Ortho Miner and Wood Borer spray. I know that Lindan was taken off the market. Most of my business deals with lawns, so excuse me for not providing better info.

Um, did you look for signs of active borer activity? Like fresh sawdust coming from any of the borer holes? This is a question where observation of the tree is necessary in order to answer.

Yeah, just saying "borer" is not enough. You need to identify the pest to be able to treat for it. Different pests have different treatable fife cycles.

Take oak borer, it has a 3 year larval stage that can easily be treated in the first 3 years as it feeds in the cambium, the third year it boars into the xylem. the fourth year is when it emmerges. Lastly, they have a cycle of heavier emergance durring odd years because of this.

Back