Wood Boring Beetle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I noticed a bunch of saw dust around my woodpile, I started to look real close and I could hear somthing like a bowl of rice krispies, I split a piece and noticed grub like worms with 2 nasty looking teeth, I heard they could be a wood boring beetle. If so how do I get rid of them. I have oak and hickery, they are in both.

If you can get a picture of one of them, we can likely ID it to make sure it's not going to be a problem for your other trees or home.
Wood boring insects usually like either dead and rotting wood, or wood that is still living, so they will probably be done once the wood dries out a little.

Before somebody beats me to it, one way to kill them for sure, is to get a fire going and burn the wood in a fire place, wood stove, or campfire.:buttkick:

I noticed a bunch of saw dust around my woodpile, I started to look real close and I could hear somthing like a bowl of rice krispies, I split a piece and noticed grub like worms with 2 nasty looking teeth, I heard they could be a wood boring beetle. If so how do I get rid of them. I have oak and hickery, they are in both.
sounds like carpenterworm

The answer to your question

To answer your question directly, take a very thick large sheet of bisquine plastic, lay it out and restack your infected wood in the middle of it, then wrap it up tightly and seal it with duct tape and let it cook in direct sunlight for six months or so.

Result will be dead bugs regardless of whatever type they are, and good usable firewood.

Try it, it works!

jomoco

Burn them up.
They will help with the BTU's.

Back