Wood burning stoves no better today than before

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not an antique stove. It's a modern high efficiency secondary combustion designed wood stove.

From the picture, it sure looks like the primary air is a big hole in the door, and there's no visible control for secondary air.

Does it use tubes? Baffles? A cat? I'd be interested to see the guts.

From the picture, it sure looks like the primary air is a big hole in the door, and there's no visible control for secondary air.

Does it use tubes? Baffles? A cat? I'd be interested to see the guts.

Are you talking about my Jotul F600CB?

The person you were responding to quoted my post with a photo of my Jotul F600CB.

I think you are talking about the beautiful antique wood stove that was pictured. If you are, I agree with you that it would not be very efficient. I also agree with you that the NC30 is a whole lot of wood stove for the money and I highly recommend it. By the way, what looks like openings on the beautiful antique wood stove door are actually pieces of mica with are semi transparent. It is still not an efficient wood stove though. Modern wood stove glass is pyroceram ceramic glass

The Jotul uses stainless steel tubs in the top of the firebox.

My Jotul F600 is almost 20 years old now and the stainless steel tubes still look great. I am careful about not over firing though and if the ash pan door is used to aid in getting a fire started, which is a no no, the stove turns into a blast furnace and could be easily damaged if left unattended for even a short time. We use the side door for added air to get the fire going, like the manufacturer suggest to do. The major downside to the Jotul is that the glass coated cast iron makes for an expensive wood stove. I paid $2,500 for it new in 2002.

It's all good!

Jotul F600CB secondary1.jpg

You're right, it wasn't the stove, it was Elvin and how he fed it. (In NY) He was afraid to over-fire it so he kept several little chunks of wood smoldering in the stove. Maybe he got real heat out of it at times, but never when I was there.

IMO its more dangerous to run it cold all the time then to get it a little to hot at times.

This year iv been running hotter than ever and Iv only had to clean the stove&pipe one time (around Christmas). I used to run it 500-600. Now i make sire to reach 700-750 once a day at least and i walk away when it is idling around 600-650.

PE Summit stove top temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumbled across this article on the detrimental effects of wood burning stoves regarding air quality.

https://apple.news/AZiUiDw3PTj60K5Q2Q0kpjg
They cite Fairbanks Alaska as one such area that collects the smoke due to the geography/ surrounding topography.
They allude to the certification agencies “cooking the books” on the review process for newer model stoves passing EPA standards. They touch on the wasteful spending from government subsidies that were used to clean up the wood burning stoves on the market and to help residents upgrade to the newer, ‘better/cleaner burning’ stoves. And they conclude that for the environment, it would be better if people weren’t burning wood to heat their homes.

They do note that oil burning is more expensive, and propane doesn’t work well in the cold, and there aren’t a lot of great options.

It’s a good read.
Interesting article for what they leave out, not necessarily what they wrote about. Anything other than wood typically requires massive, fossil-fuel consuming infrastructure to extract, refine, transport and store. With a saw and an axe, a person can gather the fuel needed to heat their house with only slight methane emissions from the previous night's taco dinner. And while the author quotes people who refer to the farce of EPA mileage estimates for cars, they don't elaborate on how cars are tested in a similar fashion to wood stoves: under ideal conditions that rarely resemble "real world" conditions. Sounds to me like the problem, yet again, is the government sticking their noses where they don't belong.

A good friend living in Kansas told me awhile back that the Kansas grass fires are still used to clear thousands of acres of farmland produce far more carbon emissions every year than all of their wood stoves and fireplaces combined. But, that land also grows the best wheat in all the world.

The chimney dude was in the other day, in uniform an all. - Better be as I cant recall last time he was around and I actually pay my taxes.
I have an ancient wood stove and he said; lots of stuff in the chimney I cant remove without using a drill and a chain which will do a significant wear to it.
If you get a clean burning up to date stove you will half your wood use and significantly reduce the stuff clogging your chimney and making a fire hazard at the same time...

Yes I'm sure design has an effect, but the idea of a clean burning stove is making it burn hotter so it can burn off all the smoke. So it all comes down to how hot the fire is.
Naah, my parfine owen has a double or triple chamber, your stove burns about 30 to 50 % of the gasses produced by the heated wood, a more effective stove burns 80% of the gasses.
Most of the useful gasses and the heat that should warm your living room goes out the chimney... leaving all the bad stuff along the sides of it.

Yes I'm sure design has an effect, but the idea of a clean burning stove is making it burn hotter so it can burn off all the smoke. So it all comes down to how hot the fire is.
Correct. Cold fires smolder, produce pollutants, and clog up chimneys with creosote. Hot fires do not. My chimney cleaner also agrees. Last year, he said, "Edwin, you really do burn that stove hot. Keep it up."

The more efficient stoves don't burn hotter nor do they have a hotter fire. They do put out more heat for a given amount of wood and do leave a cleaner chimney though.

Correct. Cold fires smolder, produce pollutants, and clog up chimneys with creosote. Hot fires do not. My chimney cleaner also agrees. Last year, he said, "Edwin, you really do burn that stove hot. Keep it up."

What stove do you have?

The Blaze King line of stoves burn very clean even with a smoldering fire as do most all catalytic wood stoves.

The more efficient stoves don't burn hotter nor do they have a hotter fire. They do put out more heat for a given amount of wood and do leave a cleaner chimney though.
As long as I have been on this site I have never see you agree with anyone. You always have to argue any point. Your a true hypocrite if there ever was one.

As long as I have been on this site I have never see you agree with anyone. You always have to argue any point. Your a true hypocrite if there ever was one.

Do you know the difference between combustion efficiency and heating efficiency as it pertains to a wood stove?

Because it seems you don't.

Back