Wood Chunker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pweber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask why guys use wood chunkers. I've seen them in operation on youtube, but why burn tiny little chunks? I realize that solid fuel is solid fuel, but are these "chunks" intended for some use other than heating a home? Making charcoal? Just curious.

some for cooking, I chunk some hickory up, but according to the list of vids on youtube, for wood fired gassification engines mostly. Instead of running on gasoline, they use these woodchunks, get the methane coming out good, then run the engine on that. I guess they like the uniform small sizes as they go through the charcoal process.

Ah, thanks. I guess if one has an old-fashioned cook stove, it's easer to feed small chunks into the hopper as well.

And I would bet that the other side of that has to do with over the pond. There are a variety of smaller stoves that in turn take small fuel.

And I would bet that the other side of that has to do with over the pond. There are a variety of smaller stoves that in turn take small fuel.

Yep. They (talking Europe from what I have seen online) usually have much better insulated houses than the US so they can get by with smaller stoves and therefore smaller chunks of wood.

They also have a much better selection of fuel efficient vehicles.

Yep. They (talking Europe from what I have seen online) usually have much better insulated houses than the US so they can get by with smaller stoves and therefore smaller chunks of wood.

They also have a much better selection of fuel efficient vehicles.

And much of Europe has a moderated climate compared to the Northern parts of the states.

I've been eyeing the Grand Wood Cook Stove on Obadiah's website. Small chunks would work nicely in that I think. I'm just wondering if it's built as robustly as a regular wood stove so that it could handle burning in it every day. It weighs 750 pounds so I'm guessing it's fairly sturdy.

Growing up, my Mom had (still has) a cook stove, and I had to split the wood very small compared to the house stove.

Back