Wood cutting summer 2012. Picture heavy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadeclinton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I decided to throw up some pictures and information of the family and I gathering wood this year. We started in May and finished up Thanksgiving weekend. The two or three excursions in May got about 15 cord in between my house my moms and chopping blocks for my brother. We started with a big Sugar Pine.

First we rounded it into 16's.

View attachment 265023

I'm in the blue hard hat.

View attachment 265030

Then we quartered the rounds and loaded them into my one ton to shuttle to the trailer.

View attachment 265031

The big sugar was still on the stump, and it was still a bit green. We couldn't fill the trailer to capacity but the loads were still at least 2.5 cords.

View attachment 265045

Here is us loading a big Ponderosa snag the easy way. The F.S. must have used it to re-certify someones saw card. We pulled up tight to the cut bank, made a ramp out of the side rack, and just rolled them right in. Easy getting.

View attachment 265054

Last edited:
Continuing the story 5 pictures at a time

Here are the saws: Husky 385 with 32" bar, Husky 394 with 32" bar, Husky 395 with 36" bar, Stihl 046 with 28" bar. Not on the trip a Husky 3120 and another 394. All are .63 gauge square ground chisel chains.

View attachment 265069

View attachment 265070

My truck loaded with Sugar pine quarters, I don't remember why we didn't take the trailer. We must have been on a scouting run.

My step dad and his trailer with some Ponderosa rounds

View attachment 265068

My mom and step dads pile of rounds as it grew.

View attachment 265067

View attachment 265066

Great pics so far, monstah trees! Lookit them rounds! And big huskies! Just retry that last batch, they didn't come out.

I finally got me a 394, jonesin for a 3120 now..just because.

More of the story in pictures

My brother is on the University of Idaho Timber Sports Team and need some practice chopping blocks for practice during summer break. So we got a load of them as well. The chunks make crappy fire wood after chopping so they become party fire material.

View attachment 265073

View attachment 265074

More spring trip load shots, Ponderosa pine with a touch of primo Cedar.

View attachment 265075

View attachment 265076

Last edited:
I decided to throw up some pictures and information of the family and I gathering wood this year. We started in May and finished up Thanksgiving weekend. The two or three excursions in May got about 15 cord in between my house my moms and chopping blocks for my brother. We started with a big Sugar Pine.

First we rounded it into 16's.

View attachment 265023

I'm in the blue hard hat.

View attachment 265030

Then we quartered the rounds and loaded them into my one ton to shuttle to the trailer.

View attachment 265031

The big sugar was still on the stump, and it was still a bit green. We couldn't fill the trailer to capacity but the loads were still at least 2.5 cords.

View attachment 265045

Here is us loading a big Ponderosa snag the easy way. The F.S. must have used it to re-certify someones saw card. We pulled up tight to the cut bank, made a ramp out of the side rack, and just rolled them right in. Easy getting.

View attachment 265054

Man! Nice trees! I have a 111s with a 40" that I'm dying to try out.

Greg

Fall cutting pictures

zogger, the image links are working for me, Moderator might be able to help?

Any rate I got a few days off over Veterans Day so me and the misses decided to get after it again.

View attachment 265081

The F.S. opened up an areaa that was closed for a salvage sale. There were some landings they left open that has mountains of wood in them. The snow kept the gypo cutters away and one again we got the big clear stuff.

View attachment 265080

View attachment 265082

Continuing the story over Thanksgiving days off.

Over Thanksgiving I had some time to cut, and my mom and step dad had days off. We decided the time was ripe to get the cords in before the F.S. closed the wood for the winter. We cut a day and a half and really scored. We could have cut more but we ran out of Tags. The week end brought in 10 cord.

This is the first days load I toted in. It was pretty dry so I got 3 cord on the trailer.

View attachment 265089

This is the second days load. Its only two cord because I ran out of tags.

View attachment 265088

Here is the stack and pile. The stacked and tarped stuff is from the spring. The rounds to the front are from Veterans day cutting. The rounds to the left are from Thanksgiving weekend cutting.

View attachment 265091

Here is one shot of my step dad pulling the trailer with about 2.5 cord going to his house.

View attachment 265090

ptjeep, thanks for the compliment on the rig. The truck did start as a F-250, but the TTB axle had to go. One Dana 60 later and now its an f-350. Note the lowercase f to keep the Powerstroke purists happy. The 4:10 geaars make towing the trailer a lot easier as well. Here is a better picture of our winch set up. The trailer get used for more than fire wood. The tool box houses two batteries, chains, binders, straps and all the other stuff one might want or need.

View attachment 265101

ptjeep, thanks for the compliment on the rig. The truck did start as a F-250, but the TTB axle had to go. One Dana 60 later and now its an f-350. Note the lowercase f to keep the Powerstroke purists happy. The 4:10 geaars make towing the trailer a lot easier as well. Here is a better picture of our winch set up. The trailer get used for more than fire wood. The tool box houses two batteries, chains, binders, straps and all the other stuff one might want or need.

View attachment 265101

I know what you mean I have a 94 Ford Turbo Diesel. It gets the Powerstroke guys bent out of shape when my IDI get better fuel mileage than their DI's, doing the same job. It also starts better than theirs in the cold. :laugh:

Thats a nice trailer setup too. I've been meaning to put side boards and a winch on my trailer for the same purpose. Maybe one day i'll get to it.

The truck did start as a F-250, but the TTB axle had to go. One Dana 60 later and now its an f-350. Note the lowercase f to keep the Powerstroke purists happy.

Haha. Better to be stroked than choke. Never heard of Sugar Pine. That college timbersport team stuff is awesome. We could do football and baseball, now timbersport--I woulda tried that!

Stroker Ace, YouTube search the Stihl timbersports series. You can see what they do, except with college kids. My brother chops horizontal and vertical, both for speed and hard hit.
Sugar pine is a white pine. It's only on the west coast mainly CA but a little into southern OR. It brings big $$ at the mill. It is used now days for molding and the like. There are pictures of the logging from the turn of the century that showed monster stumps, like double what my pictures show. Back then the made shingles out of it among other things. It was a big $$ tree then as well.

Its not 2012 any more, but I figured I wouldn't start a new thread to continue the wood sagas. 2013 saw little opportunity for getting wood out of the woods easy, so I didn't cut. This year the getting is good so April 1 when the Forest Service opened the woods I was ready. My brother and I pounced on a big Ponderosa Pine that was cut for campground safety. We got luck the the weather broke long enough for us to get in, cut, and get out safely. We only ran saws for about 2 hours and came out with 4-5 cords. Enjoy the pictures.

5056937A-16A3-47F7-9205-7C2BA681FFA9_zpsljyn4cky.jpg

BC93D985-080B-4BC0-A41F-6DB847764832_zpsnvp3djrz.jpg

9860122E-C47E-4741-8C5E-7925BB118B97_zpsw5nncwcr.jpg

9EAF7C71-B066-4316-885A-01F3E3467AF9_zpsqim2z9s9.jpg

4E07DF69-50F7-4382-8B3E-E3E2EDF73C7E_zps7olxdnam.jpg

986FA293-8DCF-4912-A2D8-F59561701189_zpsozme2x4p.jpg

F6A41898-15DB-467D-816F-D33A416348EA_zpsuciosj7r.jpg

052BC7C7-B7FE-4C8C-B3D8-DD9CC19D17A9_zps7azcym9c.jpg

028D9A48-FEB0-436F-B6B1-AE2674EB7007_zpsarv8kzqm.jpg

3172D366-B604-4C8D-99B7-78764CD3EB02_zpspnswnjzc.jpg

F3499840-4463-411D-86DA-E4D2A83DE237_zpsxahwlqmp.jpg

6A430153-17C2-4BD1-A6B0-99759260CC74_zpsapd2idbh.jpg

Nice pics------enjoy looking at your operation. Is the Pine getting pethy(punky, soft) on the outside of the rounds? I dont have much experience with pine that big, but the pics look like it is soft and rotting.

If you look at the sapwood you will see a blue staining. Its called blue stain, and it is a fungus that over time will decay the wood. The tree pictured has been dead less than 3 years and generally the wood maintains decent integrity and hardness. With it rounded and split the moisture content of the wood goes down and the fungus dies, then the decay stops.

If you look at the sapwood you will see a blue staining. Its called blue stain, and it is a fungus that over time will decay the wood. The tree pictured has been dead less than 3 years and generally the wood maintains decent integrity and hardness. With it rounded and split the moisture content of the wood goes down and the fungus dies, then the decay stops.
Gotcha.

Latest posts

Back