wood delivery truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat320

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just saw a used gmc 7000 series with 3 bins set up for 1 cord wood delivery each . my questions are .

1. if some one has this type of truck do you just dump the wood in and for correct messurement or do you still stack in machine bucket then load?

2. does leavinf wood in the closest to the cab compartment ,does it hurt the hydralics lowering with a load on the nose of the body all the time , that is if your doing 1 cord deliveries all the time and you go out with a full truck?

You can throw the wood(or load with machine) into a compartment and get it really close. I use the figure that a thrown load of cord of wood is 225-230 cubic feet. I know other people think it is around 160-180. I can't get that to stack out to a cord. You are better off giving a little extra then stacking. Stacking wastes to much time. On the hydraulics. Does the dump have power down? If so the weight won't matter much. If it doen't it could slam the bed kind of hard. You could always put some type of bleeder valve on the system to allow you to lower it slower.

Scott

Stop a couple of times when going down. You don't want to slam it down. Make sure that you are level before you go to dump, and look for overhead clearance.

You can throw the wood(or load with machine) into a compartment and get it really close. I use the figure that a thrown load of cord of wood is 225-230 cubic feet. I know other people think it is around 160-180. I can't get that to stack out to a cord. You are better off giving a little extra then stacking. Stacking wastes to much time. On the hydraulics. Does the dump have power down? If so the weight won't matter much. If it doen't it could slam the bed kind of hard. You could always put some type of bleeder valve on the system to allow you to lower it slower.

Scott

We sell loose thrown firewood and I believe you might be giving too much wood if you are giving 225-230 cubic feet for one cord.

The Maine Agricultural site gave us our guidelines and I SURE hope we haven't been short changing our customers. Let me know what you think.

I cut all my wood 16" and give 3 stacks of 4x8 for a cord. So I give a true 4x4x8 stack. I deliver all my wood on a trailer or truck that is loaded with a skidsteer or hand thrown in. When delivering I use a dolly I made that is measured out to 4 (frontal) sqft. Eight loads is a rank (1/3 of a cord) of wood. After I deliver I have a little bit of wod together. Maybe a couple dollies worth. That's after delivering 6 ranks on a trailer. I think I'm pretty close on the measurement. Only way to check for yourself is to stack some that you have throw in.

Scott

I left out the link:
http://maine.gov/tools/whatsnew/index.php?topic=Agriculture+News&id=4549&v=Article

We measured the truck for cubic feet and went with the states guidelines. Maine will send a forester out to measure your truck if need be, then every load you bring is the same size unless the wood length is different and their formula compensates for that too. We just back in and dump the load, no fuss. We are lucky in that those guidelines are there and we don't have to worry about measure. With the price we are paying here for tree length wood delivered, we can't be giving extra wood especially in every load.

The site says:

Attorney General, Agriculture Commissioner Offer Consumer Tips on Buying Firewood

November 16, 2004

For Immediate Release

or Hal Prince, Agriculture, 207-287-3841 [email protected]

Don't get the short end of the stick.

In a classic Maine story, the math teacher asks a boy whose family sells firewood, "If firewood is $100 per cord and someone gives you $200, how much wood do you deliver?"

"About one-and-three-quarter cord," answers the boy.

"No, that's not right," says the teacher.

"I know it ain't right, but everyone does it," says the boy.

While most Maine firewood sellers are honest businesspeople, Attorney General Steven Rowe and Agriculture Commissioner Robert W. Spear teamed up today to tell Mainers that firewood shorting is worse than "not right," it's illegal.

"There are three basic rules for consumers," said Agriculture Commissioner Robert W. Spear. "Know who you're buying from, know what you're buying, and get a delivery ticket."

Attorney General Rowe said, "We have received several complaints from consumers this firewood season. While we may go to court on some of those complaints, the best consumer protection results from consumers knowing their rights."

Measuring firewood: Under Maine law, firewood must be sold in one of three allowable units: standard cord, cubic foot, or loose thrown cord.

A standard cord is a unit of measure of wood products 4 feet wide, 4 feet high and 8 feet long, or its equivalent, containing 128 cubic feet when the wood is well stacked. For firewood averaging 12 inches long, a standard cord stacks up to be eight feet high and 16 feet long. For firewood averaging 16 inches long, a standard cord stacks up to be eight feet high and 12 feet, 10 inches long. A useful standard cord calculator is available for free on the Internet at http://members.shaw.ca/measurementbc/calc_fire.html This site is not maintained by Maine State Government, but it seems to give accurate results.

A cubic foot is simply a unit of volume measuring one foot by one foot by one foot.

A cord of loose, unstacked wood occupies 180 cubic feet if the wood averages 12 or 16 inches in length; 195 cubic feet if the wood averages 24 inches in length.

Delivery tickets: Maine law requires a delivery of firewood to be accompanied by a delivery ticket that states the name of the seller, the name of the purchaser, the delivery date, the quantity delivered, and the quantity upon which the price is based. The delivery ticket must always show whether the firewood is being sold by the standard cord, the cubic foot, or the loose thrown cord

The Attorney General's Office and the Department of Agriculture share responsibility for enforcing the firewood laws. Consumers who believe they have not received the correct measure of firewood may contact the Department of Agriculture at 287-3841 or the Attorney General's Office Consumer Mediation Program at 1-800-436-2131. To fill out a complaint form online, go to:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back