Wood ID...hickory?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks mixed, some ash, looks to be some sort of maple, bark less chunks not sure.

I have only cut one kind of hickory, and all of that has a dark center and unmistkable sweetish , well, what you want smoked meat to taste like, that smell, odor when fresh cut or split.

It's more than just the visuals.
Hickories are dense, very dense, shagbark almost 50 lb/cu ft air-dry. Ashes are noticeably less dense. That's a real give-away.
Ashes have very low moisture content on the stump, relative to other deciduous trees. Even with a razor-sharp chain (is there any other?) after a couple minutes cutting ash, the cutters will have what looks like burnt caramel built-up on the outside. Another real give-away.
Cutting hickory demands sharp chain and a lot of work by the saw; ashes much less.
There you go. Now tell us what you've got. :msp_rolleyes:

Now those pieces do not look like ash. So..I dunno How does it split, clean or raggy/stringy?

Too bad you couldnt have gotten a few leaves thrown in at the time.

If you look at the end on pc in the bed you will see ash. Ash bark can be a little variable, I'm just not certain about the dead pcs in the OP's original pics but I know I see ash in this pic

If you look at the end on pc in the bed you will see ash. Ash bark can be a little variable, I'm just not certain about the dead pcs in the OP's original pics but I know I see ash in this pic

Ya, the end pics looked ashy, just not the bark. BUT, in retrospect and contemplating more, I know that branch wood from up top doesnt always look like main trunk wood.

Ash (most of the wood) and American elm (dead stuff) and not familiar with what the 3rd wood is in the first group of pictures.
It's a hardwood but I've never seen it before, bark looks a little like young shagbark hickory but the wood inside does not.
The poison ivy is an easy id, hope you was wearing gloves.

Last edited:
Mikey, Consensus it that you probably do not have hickory. But if you've got ash and elm you've got some good firewood and three pickup loads! Size looks like great stuff to handle (- points for the poison ivy) but if your like me, Poison does not seem to affect me.... yet. Great score I'd say.
CT hit the nail on the head, if it were hickory, you'd know it while cutting. Cut some yesterday and you really notice how hard that stuff is in the cut. I bucked some oak and some black birch then hit the hickory. Noticeable difference in cutting speed, and my chain was still very sharp. One added thing, my nose just reminded me of the sweet smell of hickory and black (sweet) birch. If it were hickory, I think you'd smell it.

The stuff with bark sure looks like ash, but without the dark center it could be box elder as well. Some leaves and/or twigs with buds would help.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think it was hickory, but my neighbor suggested that the bark was a giveaway. I've cut ash before, and it has all the looks but not the bark, and there is no distinct smell.

He showed me this picture, which is where I made the ash & elm ID
View attachment 295004

one truck load taken, probably 2 more of smaller stuff to go...

View attachment 295006

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the fourth picture, the two pieces in the back of the truck, the right one looks like ash but the left one looks like white oak to me. Maybe it's just my old eyes but I just split a bunch of white oak yesterday that looked just like that.

Back