Wood ID...Locust, Ash or Trash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toddppm,

Yeah it's 2 of something for sure.
Without a decent end grain shot and fuzzy pictures it's more of an educated guess I think for everyone.
Some of the sections on the ground look like black walnut but the tree is pretty rot filled so it might be just rot.
The front tree to me looks like pecan with it's bark and wood color but just a guess, a decent pic probably would change my mind fast.

Yeah you ain't kidding! I have probably 20 acres of my place INFESTED with those God forsaken weeds! So thick you can hardley walk in there.

Super wet stuff - remind me of those jungle vines you can cut and drink water from. I could almost fill a glass with what runs off the stumps.

The boss at my summer job used to clear trees for the highway dept in OK. He said they told them that those and red cedars with a 6" diameter trunk would suck up 8 gallons of water a day!

Yea that's why people used to plant them around their leachbeds and sewers drain field. We had several Chinese Elms in the yard growing up for that reason. I remember a limb getting knocked off one of them somehow. That tree dripped from the wound for years. It dripped so much that it created a small rut in the yard that is still noticeable to this day. Sometimes if you were around them you would get dripped on and think it was about to rain.

Oh yea, and the tree by the shed looks like some sort of maple sort of like the stump in my avatar.

Yea that's why people used to plant them around their leachbeds and sewers drain field. We had several Chinese Elms in the yard growing up for that reason.

I never thought about that! That is a good use for them! You learn something new every day!

Back