Wood ID please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Cherry to me. In someone's yard it may be a subspecies? For example I have several ash trees in my yard that came from different places in the county and they all look just a little different if you look close but they a still the same ash variety.

260452d1351810010-img_0743-jpg

260453d1351810026-img_0744-jpg

Looks like mulberry to be,BTW shouldn't this be in the firewood forum??:D

wood species?

Black Cherry !!!!!!!!!!! North American variety. I should know. Ask why? Having a bad day. Asker beware. It is Black Cherry.

BTW, really like this forum. Just joined. Thank ...........

Any thorns?

No, no thorns.

We did see some purple/brown pods on the ground nearby, but mot very many. They were only about 4-5 inches long, and much thicker than catalpa pods. I'm not positive they came from this tree, but after Sandy-winds, they were all we could find...

species?

Shagbark Cherry? Really? It is "Prunus serotina" !!!!!!!! I apologize for the Latin. No biggies........ OK for fire wood. Excellent
for high end lumber. Rots away fast because of the sugar content. ..........Sorry for the Aspergian answer.

The fire place or wood stove is not going to care on the specifics if it is shag bark or black cherry?

I won't venture a guess.:confused2: Doesn't look quite like the Black Cherry I'm familiar with, but that doesn't mean it isn't. Does have the look of a fruit wood though. Here are a couple pics of some black Cherry I milled several years ago. Color isn't real good, but it has a more pinkish color to it. And, of course a very distinctive odor. Great smelling wood.

100_0086.jpg

100_0085.jpg

Gregg,

If it's a cherry it looks like Wild Cherry. No way it is any tame Cherry variety as they have alot slicker bark. That looks a whole lot like the wild Cherry we have around here. I agree it looks alot like Mulberry too.

Wild cherry has a good sweet smell when you're cutting it.

Species?

Oh fort heavens sake >>>>>>>>>>>
Mulberry will have a greenish "tint" to the wood. Bark will be tan/brown with very little variation in texture. Ok ok ok ok, I am having a VERY BAD day. Let the usual boys/girls play with this one......... pain in the *** out.

Oh fort heavens sake >>>>>>>>>>>
Mulberry will have a greenish "tint" to the wood. Bark will be tan/brown with very little variation in texture. Ok ok ok ok, I am having a VERY BAD day. Let the usual boys/girls play with this one......... pain in the *** out.

The Mulberrys we have here have nothing even close to a greenish tint to them. Just saying.

Doesn't look like any cherry iIve seen around here. The bark for our cherry is much more circular and peels more like ribbons. and usually plum colored.

Latest posts

Back