Wood ID please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here we go. I have a few trees in the back lot that have these leaves on them. Some of the leaves are 10-12 inches across. The trees are about 8" dia. at the moment and not big enough to cut. I can't find any reference photos in my books so I'm asking for your specialized skills in answering my question. DSCF0245.JPG DSCF0244.JPG

I do know that the deer enjoy rubbing their antlers on these trees when they are small.

Nope, those are Moose wood leaves, Tulip Poplar are also 4 lobed or tipped. The Moose wood leaves grow to be very wide/large.
I have never heard of moose maple. At first I thought lone wolf was just joking.lol
Does moose maple have any other local names like Manitoba Maple?
Im learning something here.

Yes it grows up here in good quantity, the wood is very soft and the bark is striped, leaves grow real large. I have never burned the wood in a stove just like I never burn poplar, very little heat for the effort needed to lay it in, season, store and drag it in to burn. There will be very little ash left after burning.

Moose maple sounds like and looks like the only possible answer. Personally I have never heard of it but I have some small trees of the stuff and one large (8" dia. and 35-40' tall) tree. It does have the striped smooth bark you mentioned. Thanks for clearing up the lingering question.

Back