Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man I'll keep trying. I have lots of walnut around, this is different. Bark is much thinner and grey. Thin layer of sap wood, to very dense heart wood.

That pic may be a bit misleading... Had the piece been in the sun for a while? Are you in California?

That pic may be a bit misleading... Had the piece been in the sun for a while? Are you in California?

No the piece has not been in the sun long it was fresh cut a day or two before the picture. Yes I am in California. How is it misleading? I know the pictures aren't real clear.

No the piece has not been in the sun long it was fresh cut a day or two before the picture. Yes I am in California. How is it misleading? I know the pictures aren't real clear.

Not you... The picture... That's why I needed to know if it was fresh... Could it be Madrone???

Not you... The picture... That's why I needed to know if it was fresh... Could it be Madrone???

No sir, its not madrone. I will take better pictures of a larger section to show the bark. One of the guys said elm, I am not familiar with elm being this deep red brown. I don't know a lot about trees, but like my mama always said "Boy you got champagne taste on a beer budget". I don't know what it is I just know its NICE. The tree company posted on their facebook page that they were cutting a carob tree and it would be available in the wood pile the next day, not knowing what a carob tree was I goggled it. Now I'm interested, the best I could do was 11am. I loaded all that looked like this. Keep in mind I have no idea what carob wood is! Hopefully someone took the main trunk to mill properly.

254848d1348968949-wp_000247-jpg

That is coors light...
The wood??? Who knows....
It's so dark, you'd think it was Mahogany.... Or some wierd ornamental...

That is coors light...
The wood??? Who knows....
It's so dark, you'd think it was Mahogany.... Or some wierd ornamental...

We are having a heat wave. 103 yesterday, the coors light was for self preservation! Its like seasoning your firewood in a microwave.

Some different pictures, Lone wolf say it could be elm. Here is a better look at the bark.View attachment 255429View attachment 255430

To get the pics to show up.

Copy the link that is already posted of the pic like the one above now.
Start a new post.
Click on the picture icon the one of the tree up above.
Then click on URL.
Then un check the check mark retrieve remote file.
Then paste the link you copied in the box.
Then hit OK.

Hickory?

Hey guys, I usually think I'm pretty smart about wood id, but I stump myself occasionally. I cut from the dead wood that has either been storm damaged, or just died for unknown reasons. 90% of my haul is red oak. Splits nice, very straight grain, good heat, looks pretty in the pile for customers. I have a few beech, birch, cherry, and hickory around, and take them when I can.

But, I found this old dead tree standing not far into the woods. About 20" across, about 50' tall, no branches any longer, almost no bark, but still solid. When you smack two pieces together it rings like hitting a pair of baseball bats together (might be a hint). It is very straight grained, but the grain hangs on tough. Makes splitting by hand kind of a pain. I like the red oak that just pops apart when you hit it right with the x27.

So, take a look and let me know what you think. What little bark that is left hanging suggest not a shag bark.

That's my assistant there about to throw a shoulder into the Peavey Cant Hook. We both carry our own weight in this mini-operation
256651d1349895453-peavey-jpg

256652d1349895457-h1-jpg

256653d1349895461-h3-jpg

256654d1349895465-h5-jpg

Thanks, and sorry the pictures are so big and iPhone like
View attachment 256651
View attachment 256652
View attachment 256653
View attachment 256654

Last edited:
O got a couple of pieces like that here too, no idea what it is so I'm with ya waiting for an answer on here :)

Sorry fellas... I got nuthin...

Just lookin at teeny pics on my phone, I'm going with red elm. Easy to split as the elms go, but still stringy.

Red elm is also called slippery elm, if cut green there will be a slimy layer between bark and wood.

Red Elm? There's yet another wood that I haven't ever heard of before
You guys here are teaching me more about wood every day

Just lookin at teeny pics on my phone, I'm going with red elm. Easy to split as the elms go, but still stringy.

Red elm is also called slippery elm, if cut green there will be a slimy layer between bark and wood.

I was gonna throw that one out there, but figured Jere ruled that one out already...

I was gonna throw that one out there, but figured Jere ruled that one out already...

I seriously doubt it is Elm of any kind. As far as I know there is no Elm anywhere on my little corner of this world. My house is in the middle of this view:
satellite%2520view%2520home.jpg

Like I said there are mostly Oaks, and among them mostly Red Oak, some Beech, Birch, Cherry, Maple, and Hickory. Along the edges of the opening around my house there are also some Walnut, Black Locust, Sassafras, and even some Aspen and one small Hackberry.

So, I'm betting a Hickory or an Oak but not a Red Oak, maybe Post Oak or Black Oak which I have very little of, and could be mis-identifying. Still, in my mind I leaning on a Hickory. I split most of the afternoon, and even though this tree has been dead for several years, this wood is very dense, and heavy. The 20" rounds at 18" long are about 50lbs. Even though it has been dead, I think it will need some time to season now that it is split. It smells great, not sweet like a fruit wood, and now like any oak I've cut here before, more like fresh sawmill wood.

But, I came here because I don't know for sure. Let me know if another view would be useful.

I seriously doubt it is Elm of any kind. As far as I know there is no Elm anywhere on my little corner of this world. My house is in the middle of this view:
satellite%2520view%2520home.jpg

Like I said there are mostly Oaks, and among them mostly Red Oak, some Beech, Birch, Cherry, Maple, and Hickory. Along the edges of the opening around my house there are also some Walnut, Black Locust, Sassafras, and even some Aspen and one small Hackberry.

So, I'm betting a Hickory or an Oak but not a Red Oak, maybe Post Oak or Black Oak which I have very little of, and could be mis-identifying. Still, in my mind I leaning on a Hickory. I split most of the afternoon, and even though this tree has been dead for several years, this wood is very dense, and heavy. The 20" rounds at 18" long are about 50lbs. Even though it has been dead, I think it will need some time to season now that it is split. It smells great, not sweet like a fruit wood, and now like any oak I've cut here before, more like fresh sawmill wood.

But, I came here because I don't know for sure. Let me know if another view would be useful.

Well? It don't look like any post oak I've ever cut... "and ive cut a few" and black oak smells like ass... So I'm back to square one...
No clue...

Jere39, MY guess is hickory. Reason being I just cut one down that looks just like it in every way. The bark looks like it the splits look like that, and they hang on as described. The sawdust even looks like it. I will be going back over to split more of the hickory soon and will get some pics.

Latest posts

Back