Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood ID help

New to the site, hope someone can help me identify this wood. I'm inexperienced at wood id, seems to me the color should give this one away. My neighbor had a few trees cut up after a storm. I was gathering up the black cherry but wanted to hold off investing time into this wood until it could be identified...no leaves, all branches chipped. Here's a split piece, split cleanly and easily. Bark was similar to the black cherry, actually weighed noticeable more than the cherry. Hopefully the golden color comes through in the image. thanks

Last edited:
New to the site, hope someone can help me identify this wood. I'm inexperienced at wood id, seems to me the color should give this one away. My neighbor had a few trees cut up after a storm. I was gathering up the black cherry but wanted to hold off investing time into this wood until it could be identified...no leaves, all branches chipped. Here's a split piece, split cleanly and easily. Bark was similar to the black cherry, actually weighed noticeable more than the cherry. Hopefully the golden color comes through in the image. thanks

I need to see the bark.

oh well, free wood still burns right! I just wont waste anymore time on it.
Thanks for the ID Lone Wolf

Cut a few pieces of this off today but not sure what it is. The bark looks very rough on one side yet smoother on the other. Maybe that's from being down for a while. Pieces were sure heavy to load in the back of my atv wagon. I cut a small chunk off to give to the owner to help identify as well as snapped a few pics to post here.

Whatcha think?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384468400813.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384468400813.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 34
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384468416007.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384468416007.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 31
I burned a few pieces of that, and it burned pretty fast, compared to the piece of red elm I put in with it at the same time. Not sure if that helps any. Such a shame as the tree is good size and fairly easy to get to, but I don't like the way it burns, and I do have other selections to choose from.

I burned a few pieces of that, and it burned pretty fast, compared to the piece of red elm I put in with it at the same time. Not sure if that helps any. Such a shame as the tree is good size and fairly easy to get to, but I don't like the way it burns, and I do have other selections to choose from.

Yea Grimmy, Cottonwoods not well revered amongst the wood burning community. Its pretty soft and as you realized, it burns quick. Maybe if you were using an OWB and could chuck many large pieces in the fire at a time, i could be worth harvesting. If an indoor wood burner is what your using, my opinion would be that you spend your time and energy harvesting a better quality firewood ;)

Why is it that when I go back on so many of these threads to research and read that most (if not all) the pictures are gone?? Its very frustrating. any help would be great! thanks

Why is it that when I go back on so many of these threads to research and read that most (if not all) the pictures are gone?? Its very frustrating. any help would be great! thanks

The site was hacked. Along with the task of getting the site back on track, much of the history was lost here. Especially pictures. The pics that remain are only the ones hosted from other host sites such as photobucket ect. Nothing we can do about it. :cry: Well there is one thing.. Get the camera out and start posting them pics of all the wood types you can find :dizzy:

Cut a few pieces of this off today but not sure what it is. The bark looks very rough on one side yet smoother on the other. Maybe that's from being down for a while. Pieces were sure heavy to load in the back of my atv wagon. I cut a small chunk off to give to the owner to help identify as well as snapped a few pics to post here.

Whatcha think?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Could be Ash.

Cut a little bit of this tree yesterday, was out in the freezing cold looking for standing dead. the top of this tree was gone and there were no branches. It's obviously a pine of some sort. the outside ring of red under the bark is very soft, the middle isn't too bad. The wood has a definite green tint to it. Woodpecker holes all over the thing..

Anyone know what it is? And would this be worth splitting up for firewood? At what moisture % would it be good to burn in my stove? I don't have a whole lot of it, but was curious if it was even worth messing with.

Pics:
rps20131125_105619_751_zps513b0329.jpg

rps20131125_105649_709_zps4268f1f9.jpg

Cut a little bit of this tree yesterday, was out in the freezing cold looking for standing dead. the top of this tree was gone and there were no branches. It's obviously a pine of some sort. the outside ring of red under the bark is very soft, the middle isn't too bad. The wood has a definite green tint to it. Woodpecker holes all over the thing..

Anyone know what it is? And would this be worth splitting up for firewood? At what moisture % would it be good to burn in my stove? I don't have a whole lot of it, but was curious if it was even worth messing with.

Pics:
rps20131125_105619_751_zps513b0329.jpg

rps20131125_105649_709_zps4268f1f9.jpg

If its easy to get to and easy to split i suppose its worth it but it will weigh next to nothing when its dry and will burn very quick. I wouldn't waste much time on it.

Latest posts

Back