Wood ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwasifar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up one branch of this mystery wood with a scrounged load. It's bright yellow and splits easily. Never seen anything like it. Anyone? I suppose I should mention it was in southern Wisconsin.

yellow_wood.png

Looks like Osage orange (hedge) to me. It and mulberry look very similar.

Aha! Quite possible. Those trees are all over the place around here, dropping their big wrinkly green softballs. I've never seen one cut down before, though, as it happens.

Well, the Wikipedia article says the Osage orange is a member of the mulberry family.

Apparently the wood is exceptionally tough and durable when seasoned. So maybe I'll rescue these pieces from the fire next year, and make tool handles from them instead.

To me, Osage orange has a more stringy appearance of the bark than this pic. But the wood could be OO as both are a bright yellow. Osage orange IS one of the top fuelwoods in the country. Just be careful not to overfire your stove!

https://garden.org/plants/photo/65871/

It is THE top period. Hottest burning wood in N.A. Burns roughly half as hot as coal.

One way to test to see if it’s Osage is the yellow color in the wood is wTer soluble so can our shavings or dust in water and it’ll leach out the wood making basically natural dye

It’s pretty yellow for mulberry imop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back