Wood Identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the replies. I had a friend look at it yesterday and he said without a doubt it is hickory.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
The nuts (or fruit if you may) and the leaf will always tell what it is.
Look under that standing tree for dropped seeds and leaves. Oak acorns, hickory nuts, winged maple seeds, etc.
Of course it a lot easier when they're still on the tree itself.
I have a few tree identification books when I travel like the Peterson Field Guides or Sibley Guide.

Thanks for all of the replies. I had a friend look at it yesterday and he said without a doubt it is hickory.

He's wrong, that's without a doubt maple. A hickory of that size would've had a very dark heart. I've sawn many tons of both. Tree standing is maple also. See how the bark twists. That's a common sign.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

No way that is hickory. Silver maple all day. The pic of the whole tree you put up is silver maple as well.

Just went and fetched this split of what I am positive is Silver Maple. Looks about the same too me. Sorry about the lighting
367400eb2fc992268e9814ef17f4e5fd.jpg
e06083cd3976e279ddccb144223c0dec.jpg
914cf826c930d8693fff2cc04b68ae12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

He's wrong, that's without a doubt maple. A hickory of that size would've had a very dark heart. I've sawn many tons of both. Tree standing is maple also. See how the bark twists. That's a common sign.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I split a bunch of hickory today that looked just like that end grain photo. I will not swear it is from that photo but the growth rings seem to be much more defined than what I would expect to see in maple. OP, smell the darn stuff. Aroma should tell you

It's definitely not Silver Maple, I can identify them.

Latest posts

Back