Wood IDhelp needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rydaddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cut this wood out of a friends property yesterday. No idea what species it is. They were blowdowns from storms a few years ago. Uprooted and all. He was finally tired of looking at them off in the distance. Area was on the outskirts of a "marshy" area. Not excessively wet, but definitely a low-lying area. Very near these trees are red oaks and cherrys. No clue what this is. Cut VERY easily, and not overly heavy. Would like to know what it is before I spend the time to finish splitting, stacking, hauling, etc... only to find out it has the BTU value of a stack of paper. Trees were about 24" dbh. I threw some of the small stuff in my truck and took a couple of pics this AM.

Thanks!!!!!

Looks like it could be Silver Maple. Silver likes wet areas. Just so you know, I am about 1 out of 23 on guessing wood ID threads.;)

If it is Silver, I wouldn't pay top dollar for it, but I have burned a few cords of it in the last couple of years. Dries quickly and okay BTU output. Lots of ashes though.

Cut this wood out of a friends property yesterday. No idea what species it is. They were blowdowns from storms a few years ago. Uprooted and all. He was finally tired of looking at them off in the distance. Area was on the outskirts of a "marshy" area. Not excessively wet, but definitely a low-lying area. Very near these trees are red oaks and cherrys. No clue what this is. Cut VERY easily, and not overly heavy. Would like to know what it is before I spend the time to finish splitting, stacking, hauling, etc... only to find out it has the BTU value of a stack of paper. Trees were about 24" dbh. I threw some of the small stuff in my truck and took a couple of pics this AM.

Thanks!!!!!

not sure what it is, but I cut some of the same stuff on my land this past fall. same deal, storm damage from a few years ago. I used it in my owb and it worked fine. I have no idea tho in a conventional wood stove.

My guess is Black Willow.(Salix Nigra);)
Very brittle.
Very easily propagated.
Individuals in younger stands may appear as shrubs rather than trees.

I was going to guess black willow too. Not sure how much you have up there, but it is very prolific here and it loves semi wet areas. Usually grows in clumps as well.

I'd say willow as well,just going by your saying how light it is.I have some of those maples the other guys mentioned on my property,they're anything but light and HARD to split.'round here we call it water maple,I guess it"s a Silver of some type.

Great, now it looks like I'm 1/24. Good thing I'm not opening a Tree Nursery.:laugh:

I just cut up a Silver that looked similar to the pictures. Fairly light and the bark looks very similar. I think Silver splits very easily when cured just a little. I can split double logs (one log stacked on top of another) when Silver is completely seasoned. Only for show, please don't call the safety police.

Willow

That my friend, is weeping willow. It burns well and easy to split. I took down a 6.5-7 ft across one for a friend in august. There isn't much of a market for willow up here. And yes it is very light. And they love creeks, streams and swamps just like sycamore. Yup, you got weeping willow.:D

PA Plumber, I could be way off my rocker here but the maple growing in the creekbottom in this area is heavy stuff,darn near impossable to split.Like I mentioned,we always called this stuff water maple,may very well be silver but doesn't split like the silver growing elsewhere.

That my friend, is weeping willow. It burns well and easy to split. I took down a 6.5-7 ft across one for a friend in august. There isn't much of a market for willow up here. And yes it is very light. And they love creeks, streams and swamps just like sycamore. Yup, you got weeping willow.:D

Well maybe it is, but the weeping willow that I have cut up around here looks nothing like that. The weeping willow here is white thru and thru. I am sure its in the willow species, now that it was brought up. The wood that I cut up on my land this past fall, that looked just like the wood pictured, had been down a few years, broke clean off, and still sprouting fresh growth.

Great, now it looks like I'm 1/24. Good thing I'm not opening a Tree Nursery.:laugh:

I just cut up a Silver that looked similar to the pictures. Fairly light and the bark looks very similar. I think Silver splits very easily when cured just a little. I can split double logs (one log stacked on top of another) when Silver is completely seasoned. Only for show, please don't call the safety police.

Don't worry PAplumber, you'll get better. You just have to get one of those tree I.D books. And spend lots of time in the woods logging with loggers who know what their talking about and oldtime loggers.:rock: That's the way you get better at IDing.:laugh: :D ;)

willow

Well maybe it is, but the weeping willow that I have cut up around here looks nothing like that. The weeping willow here is white thru and thru. I am sure its in the willow species, now that it was brought up. The wood that I cut up on my land this past fall, that looked just like the wood pictured, had been down a few years, broke clean off, and still sprouting fresh growth.

Yup, you're last sentance is charcteristic weeping willow.:) I'm not sure black willow will do that, at least I've never seen it doing it. Weeping willow is the only one that will still sprout new growth, cut and laying on the ground. Pretty impressive.:jawdrop: I've heard it is a real SOB to kill.:)

I definitely do better with tree ID's if there are leaves. I am okay with most of what we have on our farm(Mostly a wooded lot. We just refer to it as "The Farm"). If there are no leaves it is lot tougher for me.
Winter troubles:
Aspen vs. Red Oak If I can see the silver at the top it helps.
Red Maple can look like a lot of different trees depending on its surroundings and age.
Pignut Hickory gives me some troubles in the 14" plus diameter trees, depending on how fast it is growing.

Back