wood price wholesale?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was talking with a landscraper today who plans to sell about 30+ cords of wood next winter. I said to him rather than driving almost an hour each way from his home to his customers, why not buy the wood off me and stay local. I offered him a cord at anywhere from $100 - $125. Split and seasoned hardwoods. He has to load it in his truck / trailer himself. He'll be re-selling it for about $300. I'm figuring that I'll give him all ash, maple, hickory, etc. I'll keep the oak and locust for my own customers. Should I have asked for more?

I pay $70 a cord for popalar cut and split.
I was looking for wood as my guy that sell it to me at $75 will not touch wood and snow at the same time so i called a guy i see just off the highway and he said popalar cut and split is $475 a cord and if i want 8 foot lenths that i have to cut and split it is $50 less a cord.

I get local tree guys selling it at $15 a cord dropped off in my yard .
I can get 20 to 26 cords on a semi for $100 to load and whatever the semi guy charges .

so if you are cutting and splitting for $100 to $125 thats not the point .
I would be asking how much work does it take to make that cord.
I was going to sell wood also but I only have a half ton truck and a ford 8n tractor so alot of the work would be done buy me and a chainsaw then some type of splitter so nope I am not gonna sell wood.
but if you have a processor like my wood guy that can pick up a 8 foot piece or pieces and then cut and split at once with the push and pull of a lever and it all just falls onto a pile at 5 cords an hour then $125 x 5 cords an hour is $625 an hour thats ok cash .
today i cut a half cord of wood into 3 foot pieces and man let me tell ya i am ouuta shape .
thats was with a chainsaw yet ....

I'm not going for the whole processor thing. It's just gonna be a guy with a few mauls / axes / wedges and a $1000 splitter 2 days a week if that. This guy can bang out 3 cords of ash in a day by himself without ANY problems by hand. Not looking to make a killing off this, just a little bit of extra money on top of my regular firewood sales.

sounds like a fair price you quoted him. 30 cords at 100.00 is 3,000 and at 125 a cord is 3,750 thats not to bad for trees your getting paid to cut down anyway. plus gives the guys something to do and puts money in your pocket. could turn in to a long term contract with the landscaper.

when I get swampped or dont have the time to mess with loading and need to bang out 5-6 loads a day I just buy it from my buddy Tom, he loads my trucks with a skidsteer for $120 a cord... for oak maple and ash its alot faster then throwing wood on from the pile by hand

Not to be dumb but why not sell to the end user and you get the $300 per cord.

Latest posts

Back