Wood retrieval methods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried all the small logging devices: winches, log arches, come alongs and pulleys. For what we need--6-8 cords/year firewood, 4' pulp, blowdowns, and general forest management--the best has turned out to be the simplest and least expensive. The saws, old climbing lines w +6000 lbs pull when new, a Honda Foreman ATV, and a 3' x 4' trailer on 15" snow tires.

The woodlots here are wet and bony/rocky with slight knolls and hills. The harvesting is done ONLY in winter for easy access, light skidding, less damage. Besides, there's no bugs and serious sweat.

I've found that the arches are too fussy to get to most of the trees, the winches too often clog in the cold, and the pulley/come along systems take too long to rig and dismantle.

I cut a rough trail to the tree(s), drop the thing, bring the trailer as close as possible, then hump the bucks/butts into the trailer to stack near the woodshed. No access for any vehicle other than skider or ATV. If the butts are too big, they get noodled. The ATV will only skid a light log in snow.

A small 4WD tractor could do more, but for the +/- $25K I'd rather do the grunt work....so far, as long as the body holds up. The add-ons alone on those tractors can be as much as a new Honda Foreman ! The savings give us the once a year cruise or month-long trip overseas.

Before I got the splitter, I hand split it where it fell and then hauled the split wood to my truck with the power wagon. This might not be the most efficient way to go, but I'm only cutting wood for myself.

Well, to me, that's always seemed the MOST efficient way of doing it, not less efficient. Splitting the wood right at the cutting site means you are picking it up less ( and it's lighter ) since it goes straight from your hauler to your stack area, not onto the ground again. It can't always be done this way due to time available or the site ( or motivation... : ) but it is less work overall.

Its okay... I'm gonna go to a local store here and try and get a snatchblock. I've been looking on CL for cable and I saw one ad so far that caught my eye was 5/8's 100ft cable for $150. Comes out to $1.25 a foot. It has eyes on the ends as well. Think its a good deal?

I use 5/8 on JD450 HYD winch and its heavy lugging it up hill very far. I have some metric 12 or 14 mm about 100' that is good for what I do when snatching it with a pick up.

You won't break the 5/8'', the 3/16" a good snag would snap it unless there's something to it I don't know about it and the 3/8" is good and easy to work with it is what comes on 8K# rated winches but it can be broke if not paying attention. I wold offer half of what they are asking and work up from there I would not pay that much for any of them.

Last edited:
winches are too slow your best bet is to pull with your truck (works better after you get some wood in the bed) and use a snatch block on a tree above the road (a good block is hard to find) there are wide blocks out there that will allow section breaks to pass through them. Look for cable sections used for logging called haywire or strawline, it will come in sections 150 to 300 ft long and have hooks so they can be hooked together. look for places that sell rigging for logging. a person to help you and a set of two way radios will allow you to get alot done with less frustration. 3\8 wire is fine but will break if you start jerking on something thats hung up. use a tow strap to hook the block to the tree to avoid damaging the bark and seem to be stronger than chain in my experience. start with a small log then load that in the truck for extra traction the more you get in the truck the more you can pull each time. you will need a couple chokers also. avoid use of chain for the most part it will only add frustration. also avoid all use of cable clamps, if you break your cable you can repair it quick with a wild eye or sometimes called a farmers eye. this is done by taking the broken end and seperating three strands (all together) from the other three and core wire. unwind it for a foot or so then make a loop and wrap the two sides back together. if you want it to be even stronger splice the ends back into the line. it may sound confusing but its real easy.

Latest posts

Back