Wood Smoker Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody market this?

I know campfire wood sellers make $#!tloads a bundle.

I have access to black cherry and some fruit woods.

I've been bucking up 10" pieces and splitting them up at home. The steaks, fish and fowl taste wonderful on the grill.

I take some flavored cherry/apple green splits, build a fire on top with hard maple, then add some cherry/apple to smoke a bit when I add the meats. Bottom and top woods smoke up things great.

Just looking for something better than XXX$ a cord for hardwood with lots less work

Oak, apple, pear, and hickory all work. I cut them into 6" to 8" lengths, split about 1" to 2" across and pack them in plastic shopping bags, 16 lb apiece. $3 buys one bag and $5 buys two. At that price, they sell whether green or dry.

This year I sold less because of lousy humid weather, but last year I sold about a thousand pounds. The stores want a lot more money than my price, but I'm used to that.

Anybody market this?

I know campfire wood sellers make $#!tloads a bundle.

I have access to black cherry and some fruit woods.

I've been bucking up 10" pieces and splitting them up at home. The steaks, fish and fowl taste wonderful on the grill.

I take some flavored cherry/apple green splits, build a fire on top with hard maple, then add some cherry/apple to smoke a bit when I add the meats. Bottom and top woods smoke up things great.

Just looking for something better than XXX$ a cord for hardwood with lots less work

It all comes down to can you harvest and bag enough to sell in volume on a consistent basis and do you have a place to or places to sell that has a lot of foot traffic and a need or want to buy.....You have the supply but cutting to 10" is twice the cuts as traditional 18-22 " good ole firewood so a little more costly to produce and if you don't have the place to sell you still have to let it go at wholesale so someone else can make a profit as well....if you have both then absolutely you can make better money than selling cord wood and the smoking season is opposite of the wood burning season so extra income no matter how you look at it

It's a pain in the @$$!. I got hooked up with a professional BBQ traveling smoker for a very short time. These guy's want NO bark, NO white layer under the bark, separated piles for green and dry. After the first load, I just told him that I wasn't able to keep a supply at all times to get out of it. I just do bundles now and I do have my piles mostly separated by species so they can see the cherry if they want to pick it out, but I'm not doing it!

Wow some of you boys are catering to a much different crowd then I am. I Sell 1 CuFt bundles with the BARK on of Cherry, Apple and Shag Hickory. Splits are 20" in length and average about the size of a tennis ball. Sell way more Black Cherry then I do Hickory or Apple. $7.00 a bundle with many repeat customers and no complaints. (They get their moneys worth) I guess if they want the bark off of my smoking wood they would have to do it themselves or find one of these other dealers that have way more time then I do to remove it.

I have run into one problem. If I supply good wood as bundles for campfires, the campers use that hardwood to BBQ cook their food. The campfire holders at the lakes around here can also be used for cooking. So, that makes a dent in my separate BBK Smokin' wood sales. One buyer said, "Edwin, your campfire wood bundles cook some of the best burgers I've ever tasted. I just wait until the fire dies down and then throw on the patties."

I do the same with red oak and black cherry. Cut the rounds about 7-9 inch thick, let em season a while then split them into 2 inch diameter pieces with the bark removed but not the sapwood.

then I put em in a solar kiln and dry em down to 6% or less moisture and storing them directly from the kiln into rubbermaid roughneck totes.

They burn like solid gasoline.

But darn that cherry is hard to split. How do you split the stuff that small. I use a fiskars X11 and a stihl pa20. Both are good.

Back