Wood Splitter Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avason

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Having an issue with my splitter. The handle is stuck and won't release. It's a yard machines model 31 ton. The thing has been great so far. Should I replace the entire valve or are there parts that I can replace? Thanks for the help!
Not really sure what to do here. I can tell you that for a while the handle was not releasing on the up stroke. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 034C94B4-FB18-4676-B301-355782998320.jpeg
    034C94B4-FB18-4676-B301-355782998320.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 6BA478A0-68CF-49B3-B4C5-22B11449FE6B.jpeg
    6BA478A0-68CF-49B3-B4C5-22B11449FE6B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 14C99B52-14A2-47D2-8B1B-F57AEFF69FF3.jpeg
    14C99B52-14A2-47D2-8B1B-F57AEFF69FF3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
So I took the thing apart and found the spring was totally seized in it. Freed it up no problem and was smooth. In the process, I lost the bearing. Now the automatic return doesn’t work. No biggie, I ordered a new valve.
In the meantime, my friend says that he has a whole unit for me to take (used). I pick it up and instead of just replacing the entire thing, I decide to take it apart (just because). That’s how I roll. Well, in the process, you wouldn’t believe what happened. I lost the four small bearings and the large one on top. 😂
Moving forward I ordered a whole brand new unit for around $175. Should be in next week.
So now, I have non functioning units with a brand new one coming in. This is how I operate.
Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the help.

So I took the thing apart and found the spring was totally seized in it. Freed it up no problem and was smooth. In the process, I lost the bearing. Now the automatic return doesn’t work. No biggie, I ordered a new valve.
In the meantime, my friend says that he has a whole unit for me to take (used). I pick it up and instead of just replacing the entire thing, I decide to take it apart (just because). That’s how I roll. Well, in the process, you wouldn’t believe what happened. I lost the four small bearings and the large one on top. 😂
Moving forward I ordered a whole brand new unit for around $175. Should be in next week.
So now, I have non functioning units with a brand new one coming in. This is how I operate.
Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate the help.
I was just about to tell you to be real careful with the small parts when taking it apart but! Same thing happened to me ,you are better off with a new one. I think the rain may get in there and rust things? If it looks to be the cause seal the new one better.

Yup…I didn’t learn the first time. Oh, and I have a $75 (paper weight) detent valve sitting on my counter that came in yesterday. I would like to just replace the valve but it looks different. I’ll take some pictures later just for reference.

Yup…I didn’t learn the first time. Oh, and I have. $75 (paper weight) detent valve sitting on my counter that came in yesterday. I would like to just replace the valve but it looks different. I’ll take some pictures later just for reference.
That cap that covers the detent is where mine let rain in there was no gasket or sealant.

The cap for the detent on the Energy valve has a small shallow groove cast in the cover. It is not intended to be watertight. It appears to be a vent.
The Prince brand valves recommend not storing their valves with the detent plug facing up on their H/V splitters.

You can buy ball bearings on line if you can figure out the right size. I had to do that when one of mine decided to play hide and seek. A tin can and some duct tape over the valve works well for containing them. A plastic bag, not so well. My missing ball blew right through a plastic bag on it’s way to its current hiding place.

On the auto return valve I have on my splitter I found it easier just to let the cap off and spray it up with PFC from time to time. Don't even bother wiping it off. It's a cheap valve, thay seized a few times from the detent rusting. Just found without the cap, it doesn't hold water and the PFC (fluid film is the same thing different brand) keeps it from rusting and lubed up.

You can buy internal parts for those valves. No need to replace the whole thing for a detent ball.

Back