Wood splitter trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolie 42

Reaction score
Got valves done by a professional shop and now the briggs engine will not start..I give it 2 or 3 primes and it will backfire and or rip the pull cord ot of your hand..Seems to me like fast in time but keyway ok ahd crank to cam gears in time so as you can see i am, buffaload,,This started when a peice from the tube that goes from carb to cylener broke off
and got stuck under a valve and held it open.. Took it to the guy that done valves and he said it damaged seat and valve a bit hence the valve grind..Ps this is a b@s engine around 200 cc i beleive..

Princess Auto and cheap engine if you need to get running quickly. Then trouble shoot the B&S. We seldom fix an engine anymore unless it's something simple. We run a variety of lawn equipment and find that replacing engines is more cost effective in the long run. We have a bunch of 25 hp kohlers and got tired of big repair bills.

Princess Auto and cheap engine if you need to get running quickly. Then trouble shoot the B&S. We seldom fix an engine anymore unless it's something simple. We run a variety of lawn equipment and find that replacing engines is more cost effective in the long run. We have a bunch of 25 hp kohlers and got tired of big repair bills.
Sadly that's all too often true anymore. When the 37 hp big blocks first came out we had a bunch in vermeer chippers that litterslly lost all compression in 50 hours. Normally we would have done a long block, but kohker sent complete engines as replacements. The last few we did were "up graded" to the fuel injection instead of a std carb. Was all pretty simple since we didn't have to swap any thing from the old engine to the new. I'm sure it saved a ton on warranty cost.

An update on this post.. There is only a few things that can make this engine so badly out of time and it is not flywheel key or timing gears from crank to camso why is it kicking back so violently..I did not pull flywheel so is there something in there that i need to look into?? Not sure if it has points or electronic ignitionbut going to pull flywheel tomorrow to find out..Also valve clearance is ok so any help or hints what to look for appreciated..Yes i have thought of putting a honda on it to solve the problem but ??? Thanks every one..

Use a spark checker with an adjustable gap you could have week spark. I had this happen to Husqvarna 445. It would pop and fart and back fire occasionally. It would spark the plug out of the cylinder but when I put my adjustable tester on it it wouldn’t hardly jump any gap. I had seen too where low oil shutdowns don’t work well in real cold weather

Latest posts

Back