wood splitter ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolf tree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
for three years i have been searching the books for a good splitter timber wolf iron oak rayco even northern tools you name it i've looked

i think I'm finally ready to buy a good one

any suggestions

i now split about 40 to 50 cords next year i would like to double it

Search

Just search the forum, there are tons of posts and threads on splitters. Probably one of the top covered topics.

Search Results of 'Splitter'

ps, thats alot of wood, commercial or personal use? :)

Last edited:
for three years i have been searching the books for a good splitter timber wolf iron oak rayco even northern tools you name it i've looked

i think I'm finally ready to buy a good one

any suggestions

i now split about 40 to 50 cords next year i would like to double it
the opinions you get asking that question will allways be about the one that person owns. Usually if a person has a super splitter
they will tell you its the only one to buy, same for somebody that has a huskee, TW or whatever. I think the ones you spoke of are great machines, I happen to have a TW5, before that a 35 ton huskee, (tractor supply). I have a friend that has an iron and oak job. he likes it and I think its a fine machine. get what you can afford, and buy from a dealer close to you. You get what you pay for. As far as the supper splitter, put a big ol notty snotty piece 3 ft round elm, or ash or even oak. Wont do it, but there fine for straight even consistant wood

As far as the supper splitter, put a big ol notty snotty piece 3 ft round elm, or ash or even oak. Wont do it, but there fine for straight even consistant wood

Mine does. I have split 30 inch pluselm with it. I break down twisted oak all the time. Granted it's not as fast as normal with that kind of stuff but it will do it. What percentage wood is that twisted and knotty? If you want pure production speed for firewood get a sumper splitter. If all you split for yourself is knotty twisted stuff and 36inch elm get something else. But when your trying to make money on firewood I would think you wouldn't split to much of that.

Scott

I have to agree with Hanko you have to decide which splitter best fits your needs.
Some are very fast but require the operator to also be very fast and wood size can be a limiting factor.
The horizontal models of some brands have options available that reduce the amount of effort required of the operator;multi-wedges ,re split pans, and log lifts. There are hydraulic splitters that have 5 second cycle times with multi-split wedges.
I will add another type of splitter to consider it is the Power-Split/ TimberDevil style of splitters. This type of splitter requires the least amount of operator effort.

hank, I've got a huskee 35ton now and want a TW5
may take me a bit... TW5 w/lift sure looks like a sweet machine!

the opinions you get asking that question will allways be about the one that person owns. Usually if a person has a super splitter
they will tell you its the only one to buy, same for somebody that has a huskee, TW or whatever. I think the ones you spoke of are great machines, I happen to have a TW5, before that a 35 ton huskee, (tractor supply). I have a friend that has an iron and oak job. he likes it and I think its a fine machine. get what you can afford, and buy from a dealer close to you. You get what you pay for. As far as the supper splitter, put a big ol notty snotty piece 3 ft round elm, or ash or even oak. Wont do it, but there fine for straight even consistant wood

Iron and Oak 30 ton Horizontal only, $2039 delivered. Or if your fast with your hands, a Super Splitter- but its for smaller diameter production. Check out their website for a movie on it.

hank, I've got a huskee 35ton now and want a TW5
may take me a bit... TW5 w/lift sure looks like a sweet machine!
It takes alot of the work out of it. What i found is that to really make the most out of the TW% or any of the high production splitters you need a second person, and a conveyor hepls that too. I have a 26 ft TW comming this spring. My brother and son who filtch out of my wood pile seem to get scarse when the splitting season comes. I usually need 20 cord a year for all three of us, so Im lookinjg forward to the reduced effort this fall. good luck on the purchase of the TW

My wife bought this for me for Christmas and I absolutely love it. It is made by American CLS, it is the AM25HH model. Good quality, nice running machine.

View attachment 63526

Boy I love that woman!

:givebeer:

That looks like a nice clean simple splitter. Congrats. I like the look of it.

In the first post the guy said he wanted a splitter that could do 50 cords this year then double that. That is a lot of wood. I think a super splitter fits that. If he was asking to split 10 cords a years I would say to get a cheaper model. I have nothing against the timber wolfe it's a great splitter. I just think the SS is better for production. When doing production you mainly want goo wood o split. I also have a 20ton hydraulic to quarter the big ones. I'll try and snap some pics of mine in action today.

Scott

thanks guys for the advise

i think i'm going to take a deep breath and go for the tw5
now the question is tw5 or the tw5fc

ok maybe i'm out of the loop but what is a super spliter
home job???

home job???

I'd go with the straight TW5, imo, not worth the extra cake for 2 seconds of cycle time. Don't be cheap about it if you want to do 100 cords. Get the table grate and the log lift. I got the 6 way wedge also and use it frequently. If you do all smaller wood, say under 12", you can get away with just the 4 way. A conveyor is a must, otherwise all of your increased production capacity is wasted trying to move split wood away from the machine every five minutes.

A super split is a splitter that runs off flywheels. It has a 1.5 second cycle time. I'll find the post but there was another guy on here you should talk to about it. He bought one and said if it was better then the Timber Wolfe tw-5 that he would keep it and sell the timberwolfe. If it was slower he would sell the Super Splitter. He sold the Timber Wolfe. Only you know what kind of wood you split. You can go to you tube and see a video. You can get a new super splitter for 3k.

Scott

home job???
If your going to split small, straight, even, no more max dia 24inches the super spliter is great, but believe me get a load of big notty stuff you wont like it. I know that from personal experience. Ive witnessed it. they will not hog. maybe eventually youll get thru it.

home job???
Hee ya go, make sure you get the end grate and lift

What did that setup go for? looks like a nice setup.

Out the door all ready to go was about $2700. And that included the exit tables also all mounted. Those tables are GREAT! I have a back that likes to give me issues from time to time and that saves 3/4 of the bending. I am going to spend the extra $ and get a lift put on it for the large ones also.

I just finished splitting 4 cord of wood with pieces up to 36" across that took 2 of us to lift onto it and it went through then and also twisted up hickory etc and she never ever stopped, it went through anything at all I put to it. I couldn't be happier. It also came with the 4 way splitter which is a real time saver on logs up to 18", over that you would want to single split first.

When I purchased this it was between this one and the TW5 with tables. I opted for this one because he was local ( about 15 minutes away).

I agree with STL, can't go wrong with a super split. I bought mine in November and have never looked back. Sure it might take two hits to go through 30 inch knotty stuff, but other then that, unbelieveable. After a few weeks getting used to it, I now think I can beat any other splitter on the market. Hand's down best ever invented.

Back