Wood Stove 500 Degrees??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You wouldn't want to stick the meter to the outside of the double wall pipe anyway. It wouldn't tell you anything. I also have double wall stove pipe and bought a condar probe thermometer for 23$ that works great for reading the actual internal temp of the flue. Class A chimney is rated for 1000 degrees continuous and way higher for short times.

The rutland magnetic meter in the photo is meant to be stuck to the outside of a single wall stove pipe. At least that's what the "normal/overfire/too cold" designations refer to. You can use it on the stove, which I do, but disregard the range designations.

Your steel stove is fine to 800 degrees or until parts begin to glow. 450 is child's play.

You wouldn't want to stick the meter to the outside of the double wall pipe anyway. It wouldn't tell you anything. I also have double wall stove pipe and bought a condar probe thermometer for 23$ that works great for reading the actual internal temp of the flue. Class A chimney is rated for 1000 degrees continuous and way higher for short times.

The rutland magnetic meter in the photo is meant to be stuck to the outside of a single wall stove pipe. At least that's what the "normal/overfire/too cold" designations refer to. You can use it on the stove, which I do, but disregard the range designations.

Your steel stove is fine to 800 degrees or until parts begin to glow. 450 is child's play.

It's Cast Iron.

I never use a thermometer - too fancy for me. When it is hot in the house, I close the stove. When it is cold, I open it and listen to the draft. If the draft is roaring in, I close it down some. Otherwise, I pretty much don't worry about my chimney, at least until it turns red (doesn't happen often). I have single wall inside the house (get more heat from it).

With your chimney and set up, I don't think I'd give it a second thought. Your chimney will handle 1000+ degrees. Unless you get a chimney fire, you will be fine. Even then, you will be fine.

Back