Wood Stove Insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my Buck 91.
Large 4+ CF firebox.
Heavy plate.
Big glass.
Strong overnight burns.
Big strong blower.
Wilson

danielmccurdy said:
Custom insert eh? How about some details and maybe some pictures/plans?

here's a pic of internals, will be custom built to my fireplace demensions to give max size firebox. I'll be able to use normal sized logs.

will have a high CFM blower unit. has capability to feed into main house duct to heat entire house.

Last edited:
Very cool! Did you look at both buying a stock insert and doing it custom? Just wondering if there was a big difference in cost.

Talk to Owners First

Talk to the owners of the stove first who have a winter of use under their belt, while you're looking around dealers.
For intermittent heat inserts are fine, but they lose a lot to the surrounding chimney mass.
Look to quality and reliability and low maintenance. We've heated with wood 24/7 for decades now by choice. Maybe owned every major brand around since the 70's. JMHO: stay away from the reborn "Vermont Castings" now into its second owner since the original VC was sold in 1995. We've owned 5 VC stoves since the mid-80's, two Encores since 1995. The later Encores needed more parts, more expensive repairs, more fussing than the pre-1995 VC stoves as well as other brands ( past makers: Lange, Tempwood, Morso, Jotul all were well-made, quality stoves). Many New England dealers refuse to carry the VC stoves. Recently sold a 5 year-old Encore for a new non-catalytic Jotul Oslo... in our downeast single number chill lately it's worked like a charm. The other part of the house still has a 3 year old Encore.
Forget the cat/non-cat argument: cats work fine IF you're willing to learn to work them. Yes, the cat needs care and replacement after a few years or so, but non-cats have "burn tubes" and parts that wear also. Non-cats are like the older pre-EPA stoves with simple air controls (Think: wood biurning for dummies.) We now have one of each. Winter will tell.
We use about 4-6 cords of lower BTU hardwood (red maple, paper birch, brown ash, very little red oak)) for 100% 24/7 heating on the Maine coast near Acadia Nat'l Park.
Look for a responsible dealer that will back up the sale. Look at the quality makers like Jotul, Hearthstone, Woodstock, etc....Check stove ratings on HearthNet
And. to please the aesthetic, get porcelain enamel for appearance and ease of cleaning.
Oh yeah: don't forget the major cost of of adapting the insert or stove to the fireplace, and line your flue if it's older.
Lecture over ;) .
Downeast 8 F, 15-20 NW wind, 3"-5" snow cover.
Jotul Oslo
VC Encore (red)
MS440
MS260
Husky 136

logbutcheer, that was a very informative 'lecture'! You've got a lot more experience than most of us. Thanks for sharing it.

Logbutcher, what is the price for a new catalytic converter vs. new air tubes?

I have a Regency wood stove that is going on it's 9th. season and the tubes look good as new. I live in a warmer climate than you, so the stove doesn't get as much use as you would give it. I burn 1 1/2 - 2 cords a winter.

The air being drawn thru the stainless tubes keeps the temps a bit lower. That may help the longevity?

Logbutcher,

Your awesome. You've been joined up for almost two years, probably read the site long before that and you just made your first post!

Come on man, let someone else speak:D

Ascared

It takes a good bit of time to stop being ascared to post. You guys are brutal :laugh: ...the saw people are just one hard-a :censored: bunch. Hoo-Rah.
One of those weenies, from somewhere in N.Y. (N.Y. !), had the b :censored: to tell me that I wasn't cutting enough wood like a real man. Something about "only" 6-8 cords/year. The fool didn't even know what TSI work is. Think he lost his teeth awhile back.:dizzy: So I lurk.

Those non-cat tubes do burn out with continuous, high temp use in more temperate places like northern Midwest or no. New England.

Inserts: for efficient heat, friends have extended the hearth of a fireplace
for safe install of a regular wood stove. Easier and less complex flue installation anyhow. More air around the stove for circulation in the space.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

THere's a lot of "Elmira" inserts around here. Cats in some, not others. Replaced a Lakewood stove with an Elmira last year, wish I had the lakewood back. Unfortunately the box was cracked, didn't want to weld it up and use it in the house. Threw a lot more heat from less wood (seat of the pants). Elmira's look pretty, seem to be fairly tough and idiot proof, just not as efficient as the Lakewood.
Don't think Elmira is still selling their own stoves, just some of the brands already mentioned.

Talked to my friend that owns the firplace store. Haven't had the chance to visit the store yet, but he mentioned that because of how low my mantle is I should use a type of stove that isn't designed to burn all the time.

I may look into removing it and making a higher mantle. The funny thing was that I was reading the specs on the Jotuls, Avalon's and Lopi's and noticed the "max burn times" were mostly 8 hrs. The brochures I have look like they cover the full line of stoves and inserts. My other fireplace is all stone up to the ceiling. So even if I used that fireplace I couldn't burn all the time because the stove isn't designed to do that?

Can anyone shed some light on that?

:confused:

Regency gets my vote too

billkath said:
I have a regency wood stove insert. Works quite well.

Bill

I second this. We heat down to about -15 celsius with a Regency I2400M installed 2 years ago at an all in cost of $3000 Canadian. If I had insulated walls instead of 6 inch logs, it would easily heat my 1500 square feet down to -40. I am in the process of installing its stove cousin the F2400M in the basement.

I chose this stove because it has a good reputation, does NOT have a catalytic converter , is plate steel and plain black. Not the same set of requitements as OP. My reasoning follows:

Didn't want catalytic converter because it offers no significant efficiency advantage, but has maintenence and operator skill disadvantages. This house was used like a cottage at one point and I sure wouldn't want a relative fusing with a cat stove if he got there before I did, but just about anyone has enough common sense to not foul up the operation of a regular stove.

I wanted plain steel for easier structural maintenence. If a cast stove cracks, I understand repairs are substantially more difficult than welding plate steel.

Plain black so I can just repaint with high temperature pains as required. A boo boo in some fancy coloured job would be more trouble I am sure.

I am a KISS kind of guy and Regency has a splendid product for my needs. Hopefully long term will work out OK too.

Jonathan

TreeCo said:
Yes, that is the largest Jotul. We heat 3,000 sq. ft. but we are in North/East Georgia. We also have a Jotul CB3 that we are going to put in another part of the house. It was our main wood stove but we just installed the Firelight.

Dan

Hi Dan. If you don't mind me asking, what dealer did you use? I am in Winder Ga., and we are looking for an insert.

North east Ga., you say? I grew up in Toccoa.

my custom fireplace insert is finally getting ready to be finished, possibly by this weekend.

it's made of 1/4in plate and weights 400lbs. it'll be trucked to me. can hardly wait to get rid of those $300 gas bills.

I'll have the option of ducting output into my central heating system and heat entire home. will be able to use full sized logs with no catalytic converter required.

entire fireplace insert is one big heat exhanger, fed by a house sized blower unit.

here's spec's for my custom unit

Dimensions Input
Opening Width 47.5
Opening Height 27.5
Rear Wall Width 41
Rear Wall Height 14.5
Depth at Floor 28
Depth at Top 24
Estimated Design Info
Approx. Btu Rating 150,000 Btu/hr
Longest Wood Length is 24 3/4 inches
Door Opening Width is 24 inches
Door Opening Height is 18 3/4 inches
Firebox is 14 cubic feet
Overall Unit Front Width is about 53 inches
Overall Unit Front Height is about 30 inches

Last edited:
046 said:
Approx. Btu Rating 150,000 Btu/hr
Longest Wood Length is about 36 inches
Door Opening Width is about 36 inches
Door Opening Height is about 19 inches
Overall Unit Front Width is about 53 inches
Overall Unit Front Height is about 30 inches

THAT'S HUGE!!!

How many sq ft are you heating with it?

I'm heating 2,500 sf and will design ducting to feed output into main A/C ducts.

already purchased a much larger aux blower motor that puts out enough CFM to supply entire house.

now that I've actually got the insert installed. actual demensions are used instead of aprox.

firebox is 14 cubic feet with widest point being 24 3/4in. easily using 30in logs tilted side ways a little.

largest firebox from Quadraflame is 3 cubic feet with 21 in at widest point.

this firebox is huge! burns really clean. barely see any smoke out of chiminey at full tilt. that's with well seasoned wood.

046 said:
I'm heating 2,500 sf and will design ducting to feed output into main A/C ducts.

already purchased a much larger aux blower motor that puts out enough CFM to supply entire house.

now that I've actually got the insert installed. actual demensions are used instead of aprox.

firebox is 14 cubic feet with widest point being 24 3/4in. easily using 30in logs tilted side ways a little.

largest firebox from Quadraflame is 3 cubic feet with 21 in at widest point.

this firebox is huge! burns really clean. barely see any smoke out of chiminey at full tilt. that's with well seasoned wood.

Very nice! How about some pictures of the installed system? I liked the plans you posted before too, but I really want to check out how that thing looks installed! Do you think you'll have it running before the end of the cold season? Not really sure how long it stays cold where you are, I know here in Philly, we can have some nasty cold into March sometimes.

here's a pic of finish installation.

yes it stays cold sometime into march here in Okla. only this year it's been extra mild. but seem winter is coming back.

insert 5.JPG

xtrordinair

I have a fireplace xtrordinair and it works really good. Heats 2500 sq.ft. with ease down to about 0 f. but need to load it w/good hardwood. I like it because it looks like a fireplace, has two large arched glass doors and a catylist. never see the catilyst whether opened or closed. It has a fan that is supposed to bring in cold air from outside to positive pressure the house and has a temp sensor to shut off the fan when firebox gets too cool. THis fancy extras doesnt work very well so I have worked a way around all of it so that I have a great fireplace. System weighed about 800 pounds when I put it in. was about $4500 american dollars I would post a pic but dont know how. sorry:cry: My brother just installed a custom Juca? spelling? He lovesit.

Latest posts

Back