Wood Stove Sometimes Puffs Smoke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob gresko

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have an old Alaskan Kodiak stove. It heats my house marvelously, but it sometimes puffs smoke out the two draft controls when I fire it up in the morning after it is banked off during the night. I have a good 8x12 interior flu that exists the roof at the ridge. The flu has plenty of draft and once the stove gets going, it burns great. But I can't keep the smoke detector hooked up because it periodically puffs smoke when I try to get a fire going from scratch or when I load it up after it is banked off over night. I'm almost considering getting a modern stove with secondary combustion if it would solve the smoking problem. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

Thanks,
Bob

I have the same issue with my indoor boiler when I fire it up on a Friday night when we get to the cabin.

Basically my understanding is the chimney isn't warm enough to create a good updraft and the amount of smoke being generated by a new or rekindled fire has to escape somewhere. My boiler has an exterior vent with a small blower motor that is turned on for this situation (new fires or when feeding). I'm not sure there is a solution for a free standing stove.

Clay tile flues will do that. 'Tis the nature of the beast.
A friend of mine uses this technique: starter, kindling and whatnot that will get the fire going, on the bottom , and a couple pages of newspaper wadded up pretty tight on top to help get the flue warmed up a little when the stove is dead cold. I wouldn't personally recommend this if your chimney is full of creosote, however.

The thick smoke from my kindling will do that sometimes. I do the newspaper trick also. I sometimes light a piece of newspaper in the back of the stove to get the airflow going if I am starting a fire. Some stoves draft better than others I suppose. If it gets bad I usually know its time to clean the chimney. When I open the stove door I try t let it draft for a second or two before pulling it wide open.

Does the back-puffing happen after you close the door?

My "EPA" stove needs to have its door cracked for a few minutes after a reload, if it had burned down to coals. This is to let the stove heat up and then the flue. I keep a magnetic thermometer on the flue near the stove. Once the temp there gets up to ~250 F, close the door and cruise. Never had any back-puffing, though.

I grew up in a house w a fireplace for heat. I can remember my dad lighting a piece of newspaper and holding up in the chimney to burn before he lit the kindling. He always called it "starting the draft". Same principle with a stove, you are overwhelming the draft with more smoke than it can currently handle. Build the fires up slowly and keep your draft open longer.

If I keep the flue good and clean, dont shut the draft down too quick and dont have east winds on low pressure days, our stove rarely puffs back.

I open a window a crack on the west facing side of the house (prevailing wind) and light a couple pieces of newspaper to get the draft going in the right direction. I then build my fire. Works every time for me.

I open a window a crack on the west facing side of the house (prevailing wind) and light a couple pieces of newspaper to get the draft going in the right direction. I then build my fire. Works every time for me.
As long as your flew is clean this is your answer.

I have a firebox in my basement, my flew is kept clean and if I don't open the basement door it will backfeed from the door. This is if I'm starting a cold box on a cold day.

I use a mapp gas torch to warm up the chimney from the inside. I can usually feel cold air coming down, then I known it needs a warm up. I build the kindling first,warm up,then light with torch.

I use a mapp gas torch to warm up the chimney from the inside. I can usually tell when it needs a warm up by the cold air coming down. I build the kindling bed & logs, warm up the chimney then use torch to lite.

Wow, some serious back-draft probs, guys! Sounds like some may have another flue (e.g. fireplace) warm & open.

Latest posts

Back