wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
im thinking of picking up a old woodstove to heat the cellar. i dont use my oil burner anymore so my cellar will get no heat at all anymore. at least last year it got heat from it running while it was heating the water. i recently switched to electric water heater so i drained the boiler and shut her down :clap:

so i figure ill see if i can score a free or close to it old woodstove to heat the cellar if i wanna work down there for a while or if we have a stretch of really cold weather. id feel much better knowing if it got really cold down there i could just load it up on occasion to get it toasty warm again.

any of you have any suggestions where to look for a free of close to free woodstove? i dont expect it to get tons of use as i heat with the insert but you never know i do love to burn wood lol. thanks, Mike

Yard and garage sales have turned up a few in this area. Freecycle.org has one posted from time to time around these parts too.

Freecycle has a mailing list through yahoogroups. It's not hard to get signed up. The good stuff goes pretty quick in the larger metro areas.

Hand2Hand is another one on yahoo groups where stuff turns up.

I used them and got rid of all the ex's stuff there in about 2 days. :ices_rofl:

There is a spinoff of freecycle called cheapcycle where you can post/read free classifieds

I have one you could have if you wanted to come to Vermont to get it. Just sitting in my garage taking up space. My point is there are probably lots of people with stoves they have replaced and would like to get rid of cheaply and without filling the landfill. Put a "wanted to buy" ad in your local paper.

Look at the El Cheapo models offered by a place like Tractor Supply or Northern Tool. They aren't pretty, but probably can do the job in a pinch.

Barrel Stove Kits?

Take a gander at 55-gal barrel stove kits. These kits are surprisingly cheap and all you have to do is find the barrel and the stove pipe.

My best friend has one and it kicks out enormous heat. He even has his assisting the water heater. The double stack is not really needed. His single barrel heats about 80% of his house, a 1500 sq. ft. ranch with a full basement.

nice ideas guys. i wondered what it took to make your own stove. ill have to look into that kit also. thanks, Mike

oh beerman my brother in law live is marshfield i think it is. i think its 4-5 hours if i remember right. thats a lot of gas in the hemi ram lol. too bad i wasnt closer or id take you up on that :)

Back