• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Wood turning blocks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Procut

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I may or may not be posting this in the right/wrong forum but here it goes. I'm looking to get my hands on some wood for turning. Like everyone else I am looking to get some nice curly blocks the size of large flat rate priority boxes , these boxes allow a max weight of up to 70lbs. Do not have much of a variety of wood here in Hawaii as do you all in the states. Got some pics , post them here. I'm anxious to see whats available. Thanks in advance.

I can probably hook you up. I'm a turner and I'm getting ready to log our woods. Big question..... Are you looking for green blanks or dried? What woods? Only figured pieces?

Green would be better for me but I'm not overlooking dried at all. Like I said in above post , not sure about the type , in fact I am not really familiar with the different types of trees you have there. I just want to turn something different. Figured is always nice but like I said , I'm open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a timely and wonderful question Procut. I am also a woodturner and the only reaso I have chainsaw(s) is to process WOODTURNING blanks. I see all of this great wood on here being cut for burning and cringeno, not really as at one time I did burn wood, but now when I see these threads I think " what a beautiful bowl that would have been!

I think I can get you some box elder burls. they have red streaks in the grain, very pretty. local wood turner does a lot of turning with it.

Ray , I have been wanting to ask this question for some time now as I , like you , see a TON of wood being chipped or chopped up for firewood , "what a nice bowl that would have been" have crossed my mind to many times.
This is a timely and wonderful question Procut. I am also a woodturner and the only reaso I have chainsaw(s) is to process WOODTURNING blanks. I see all of this great wood on here being cut for burning and cringeno, not really as at one time I did burn wood, but now when I see these threads I think " what a beautiful bowl that would have been!

Thanks everyone for you input! I appreciate it much and hope to make some connections with members here. Box Elder burls would be great to experiment with. Do not hesitate to contact me via inbox for any Q's about this topic.

........................ Like everyone else I am looking to get some nice curly blocks the size of large flat rate priority boxes , these boxes allow a max weight of up to 70lbs. ..................................

The large flat rate are 12x12x5.5 and $15.80. You might want to look at the Regional Rate Boxes which are 14-3/4" x 11-3/4" x 11-1/2" and
$47.43

I'll do that! Makes better sense to go with a larger box for larger turnings. Thanks!

I'll do that! Makes better sense to go with a larger box for larger turnings. Thanks!

I just checked FedEx as I thought I could get you a nice big box cheap......OHHHH NO about $175 or so I was wrong on that. If I can find some blocks here you can have them

I think I can get you some box elder burls. they have red streaks in the grain, very pretty. local wood turner does a lot of turning with it.

Flamed Box Elder is a highly desired turning wood.

anybody who has ever dealt with Procut will tell you he is a stand up AS member as well. Maybe you should ask in "wood carving & Turning" forum as well.

I have tons of boxelder in my shelter belt, I am taking most of it out. there are a lot of small and medium sized burls and a few large ones to, just gotta find the good ones that don't have any rot in them, most of it is flamed.

Cold iron, after Procut has a shot at them I may be interested if you are selling.

They ladies at the PO tend to frown on that
I have some cherry burl I am willing to part with. I also have some red cedar and some curly maple with ambrosia streaks. I would gladly send some in the flat rated boxes in exchange for some interesting Hawaiian woods. Is koa wood available to you?

Latest posts

Back