• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Wood turning blocks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top is white oak burl I cut for pen blanks then cherry burl and ambrosia maple bowl blanks

WP_20140926_002.jpg
I have some cherry burl I am willing to part with. I also have some red cedar and some curly maple with ambrosia streaks. I would gladly send some in the flat rated boxes in exchange for some interesting Hawaiian woods. Is koa wood available to you?
WP_20141105_001.jpg WP_20141008_001.jpg

I have tons of boxelder in my shelter belt, I am taking most of it out. there are a lot of small and medium sized burls and a few large ones to, just gotta find the good ones that don't have any rot in them, most of it is flamed.
I'd love to try to turn some of that flamed Boxelder , you get a box together and we will work out shipping and all , I appreciate much.

Flamed Box Elder is a highly desired turning wood.

anybody who has ever dealt with Procut will tell you he is a stand up AS member as well. Maybe you should ask in "wood carving & Turning" forum as well.
Angelo , thanks a bunch buddy. Getting a comment such as that from such a stand up member as yourself goes a very long way , much mahalo!

I , in all honesty did not think the response to this post would generate a heap of comments. I think all I have ever seen for sale was equipment , saws , saw related items etc. I think a section for wood should be made for the sale or trade of it. Watcha think?

I have some cherry burl I am willing to part with. I also have some red cedar and some curly maple with ambrosia streaks. I would gladly send some in the flat rated boxes in exchange for some interesting Hawaiian woods. Is koa wood available to you?

Koa wood is available but very hard to come by. Most Koa is on Federal or State land and is strictly regulated with harsh penalties for those outlaw loggers , lol. Because it is hard to get your hands on it , I tend to cuddle it tightly as I dont get it very often. The price of it is extremely high. This is just for pen blanks : http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCS-AAAAA...683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c477e8eab

I , in all honesty did not think the response to this post would generate a heap of comments. I think all I have ever seen for sale was equipment , saws , saw related items etc. I think a section for wood should be made for the sale or trade of it. Watcha think?

Koa wood is available but very hard to come by. Most Koa is on Federal or State land and is strictly regulated with harsh penalties for those outlaw loggers , lol. Because it is hard to get your hands on it , I tend to cuddle it tightly as I dont get it very often. The price of it is extremely high. This is just for pen blanks : http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCS-AAAAA...683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c477e8eab
Well it does not have to be Koa but im willing to ship some wood your way if you are willing to ship some interesting wood my way

Just remember, "ambrosia maple" is named after the bug that crawled in(and may still be in there)....go ahead and ask me why this is a problem(hint, they don't like bugs shipped into new places{per customs}-full refund was given). Here's some info to read about the ambrosia maple: http://www.spaltedmaplelumber.com/spaltedwood.html

What size 'blanks' are you looking for?

Scott (don't p1ss on the customs guys) B

I went out and cut one of the fallen box-elder logs and a Russian olive log I have for fire wood but kept a couple pieces. not really burl but if your interested let me know. the dark round is the Russian olive some of them have more coloring in them. I have a burl Log that I will try getting on the Mill and cutting instead of using the chainsaw Just have to find some time while it is light out, it's been a hectic last couple days. my 9 year old nephew had a gas can explode covering him with Gasoline and burning him very badly, my wife and I have been watching his 8 month old sister while his parents are in Minneapolis with him.

Attachments

• for sale 122.jpg
    for sale 122.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 26
  • for sale 123.jpg
    for sale 123.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 25
  • for sale 129.jpg
    for sale 129.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 26
  • for sale 130.jpg
    for sale 130.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 23
Very sorry about your young nephew Coldiron, burn are terrible things. #122&129 look nice. How thick are these? If Procut is not interested I may be. Thank you for taking the time to cut these up.

#122 and #123 are the same piece, it is a burl that the middle was rotten so it is dished. it is 2.5" thich 10.5" wide and 11" long
#129 is 4" thick 11" wide and 17" long.
figured I'd post a picture of one of the burl logs I have. haven't cut this one down yet.

Attachments

• burl log.JPG
    burl log.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 19
I am in the process of trying to get together a variety of different woods found here in the islands. I am one this one large job now clearing a few acres of "Sugi Pine" ( Cryptomeria Japonica ) Japanese cedar!! As soon as I have even a little time , I will try to get some wood out to those who already made contact.

I do understand that this wood is hard to come by and that it is the national tree of Japan. It is wonderfully aromatic! Turners here will take on tree removals at NO COST for the wood alone. I have access to A LOT of this for a short period of time. We are removing everything 10in and up , everything under that will be up for grabs. Even the smaller diameters are highly sought after for boxes and smaller bowls as well as trinkets.

If you haven't even turned Black Walnut you need to give it a try.
I'm in the middle of cutting a decent sized walnut into bowl blanks. I haven't found any curl or burl in this tree yet but the section where the roots meet the trunk is really interesting and exceptionally dense.

Zack, is the walnut tree dead/dry? For some reason for me it takes walnut forever to dry after cutting blanks. Probably because it is so dense. Some of it is beautiful though, love turning it.

Its still very wet, got cut down about three weeks ago. Unfortunatly I'm still working on getting it all cut up and moved because I can't get a truck down where it's laying.
I prefer turning it green then drying the roughed out bowls. Recently I started submerging them in denatured ethenol for a few days followed up by 3-4 days of air drying on a shelf and they are relativly dry/stable.
I think its much easier to turn hardwood green then after drying, especially white oak.
Its also fun too watch each peice deform in a slighly differnt way, makes them all unique.

I've been eying this chunk in my yard for a while now. It's about 20" or so wide...
d9f4748049fb70329aadd57d5d62e407.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That will look amazing. You'll also get alot of interesting grain patterns where the branches come together.

I have no idea how to go about selling it. Is it worth the cost of shipping for a piece this big or am I better off trying to find someone local who wants it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a good chance someone would pay to have the burl section shipped but I doubt the rest of the log would make sense to ship.
In all honesty I recommend leaving the tree in place and letting it grow. Quarters awn white oak boards are quite valuable, the wider the board the greater the value.

Latest posts

Back