Woodchuck 5 in 1 tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laroo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I did a search, so as to not beat a dead horse, and could only find talk of the Woodchuck timber jack. So I figured I would through in my 2cents on the 5 in 1. I've had it for a couple of months now and have tried out all five functions of the tool. The timber jack works just the same as any other one out there but I think it is a bit more stable on uneven or soft ground,due to the dual feet it sits on. Next is the canthook or peavy function again it works just as advertised, but it is a bit bulky and cumbersome, I would hate to think of using it all day long as a canthook, but it worked quite well for moving some 18" logs around my cutting splitting area. Next the post pulled, it worked very well for pulling steel posts, much quicker than a highlift jack. The log carrier worked equally as well, it will pick up and hold anything that a couple of guys can handle. The biggest surprise to me was the log holder feature, you are able to chain it to a tree or they sell a optional attachment to put it on the hitch of your truck. It held 16' x 4-6" logs ( the ones I'm always rocking my chain on) very well. I didn't try to push it too hard on size, didn't want to break my new toy. Overall I feel it is a very well made tool,it works just as advertised, best of all MADE IN USA. It probably doesn't have much of a place in a real logging operation, but for a firewood cutter without any machinery it is a very worthwhile tool.

I'm looking for something like this too. I'm skeptical....

Hi there guys I have built my own out of some steel scraps from
Behind the old shed lifts some real big boys seems to go up to 30" and as little As about 9-10" would make a post about it of ppl would be interested

meh! For that kind of dough you can buy a throw away saw for TSC to loan to any borrowing buddies...

...cause everyone knows you never part with your Pro saws.

Hi there guys I have built my own out of some steel scraps from
Behind the old shed lifts some real big boys seems to go up to 30" and as little As about 9-10" would make a post about it of ppl would be interested

ya, sure we are, go for it with pics!

i have tried everything to make files visible straight away without having to open them can anyone tell me how? they will work if you click on the image file

245706d1342860764-p1010653-jpg

245707d1342860825-p1010651-jpg

245708d1342860893-p1010649-jpg

245709d1342860961-p1010647-jpg

245710d1342861027-p1010648-jpg

i think its finally visible

Yeah, ya might want to reduce the size of them puppys juuuust a frog hair.... :)

How big/small of a log can that handle? I'm thinking of making one as well and I'm trying to come up with some rough dimensions.

Last edited:
Yeah, ya might want to reduce the size of them puppys juuuust a frog hair.... :)

How big/small of a log can that handle? I'm thinking of making one as well and I'm trying to come up with some rough dimensions.

Ok I'll reduce them later. It can handle up to about 30" I actually even got it to hook onto a 6" branch the other day. Here is the catch you gotta be Hercules to move a 30" in hardwood takes 2 strong men. If u want dimensions etc I may do a who post on it with dimensions

Ok I'll reduce them later. It can handle up to about 30" I actually even got it to hook onto a 6" branch the other day. Here is the catch you gotta be Hercules to move a 30" in hardwood takes 2 strong men. If u want dimensions etc I may do a who post on it with dimensions

---add in a lever extension you can pin into place for the really big ones.

Nice build, man! I can *think* of neat stuff to build, just my welding sucks and my resources to persue getting better are rather dismal. I have the cheapo tractor supply version of that and use it a lot though. My biggest beef with these things is they really are designed for around one size wood, no way to make them adjustable, the log has to be "just right" in both diameter and length to bother with them at all. Mostly on bigger stuff I just sledehammer in chunks of wood underneath, then use wedges in the cut when I am doing larger logs.

I have also started taking the time to lay out scrap branches and whatnot scrounged in the immediate area so the felled tree falls on top of them and the main log will be supported even after all the other branches are cut up and it starts working its way down to the ground. The big hardwoods here typically have enough branches to hold the log up at an angle, but cutting down from the tops eventually the main log will be resting on the ground. That doesn't happen 100% of the time though, so I try to arrange those deadfall branches to be there in advance, in case the other branches break off and it isn't up in the air after felling. That has worked out well for me. Five minutes prep work makes bucking *so* much easier this way.

Doesn't need a prop it grabs in so hard. Can u upload a pic of yours mine grabs absolutely averything no problem. Maybe I can suggest an easy mod for yours so it grabs more range

Doesn't need a prop it grabs in so hard. Can u upload a pic of yours mine grabs absolutely averything no problem. Maybe I can suggest an easy mod for yours so it grabs more range

I don't have a pic of it, but it looks similar to the log jack they sell today. Can't link, but it is at tractor supply. Curved grabber arm, flat resting/lift support, long handle, all welded together. Pivot at the regular place. The one I have is slightly different than that one though.

What it needs is to be able to move those things around and pin them into different positions to adjust the reach, etc. The one they have now (this is the main difference) has a removable stand, so that is an improvement, so you can use it like a peavey with that removed, then go back to using it to lift.

They look pretty good. A little light duty I'm
Guessing the angle on the grabber point is a little wrong thats why they only work on some logs.

Dimensions would be great! I was drawing one up that was adjustable. The bottom shaft is made of 2 pcs of 1 1/2 x 3/16 bar stock, or 1 1/2 angle. There would have been a gap between the two pcs, and the hook arm would slide between them. The bottom shaft would have 4 holes in it for piviot points, and the hook would have 2 or 3 also. I was going to weld a couple pcs of black pipe on the back to use as sleeves, and a coupling, and then use a piece of 2" black pipe for the handle. It would slide down inside the sleeves, and thread into the coupling.

I was only planning on going up to about 24" as that's as much as I figured I could handle, but if it's beefy enough, I could always hook the winch on it from the ATV to get more power :)

Latest posts

Back